1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cigarretes are expensive!(compound interest problem)

1. Aug 10, 2006 #1
    I've been circling his problem for a little while and cannot find how to approach it.

A typical smoker spends 55 dollars a month on cigarrettes. Suppose that the smokers invest at the end of the month that same amount in a savings account at 4.8% compounded monthly. How much money will be in the account at the end of 40 years?

I translated that from spanish so it might be a little unclear, polease dont hesitate to ask for clarifycation.

I know that the compound interest formula is A= P(1+(r/n)^nt but the problem is that everytime I make a deposit I have to add last month amount with interest plus this months amount and it keeps mounting every month. I think the problem lies in P. I Tried plugging in all the numbers and if I invest only the first 55 dollars I will have 2305.60 at the end of the 40 years but I know thats wrong, as the real amount should be much higher. Any push in the right direction would me appreciated greatly. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2006 #2
    I just scratched this out on paper, and im trying to get a general solution for this: F = [1+(i/n)^nt]*A + [1+(i/n)^nt-1]*A + [1+(i/n)^nt-2]*A + ...
    so its like calculating n different accounts, each with the same principle investment, just with one less compounding term for each successive account

4. Aug 10, 2006 #3
    Shouldn't A change over time too?

btw thanks for the reply

5. Aug 10, 2006 #4
  6. Aug 10, 2006 #5
    Thanks for the link Ronnin it really helped a lot.

I found a different formula in here
    mathforum.org

but they both gave me the same result.
    The website you gave me used (a - ar^(n+1))/(1-r) where;

a=deposit (55)
    r=the rate (1+(.048\12))
    n=479 (from the geometric sequence?)

I then substituted and

(55-55(1.004)^480)\(-.004)=79679.7

The other formula P = M([1+(i/q)]^nq-1)(q/i) where;

M= 55
    i= .048
    q=12
    n=40

gave me the same result.

My only confusion is that I tried to verify with a web calculator here, but it gave a number that it is a bit higher, can someone verify for me? Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?