What is the Monthly Payment on a Car Loan with 6% Interest?

• Thread starter rmiller70015
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves financing a car with equal monthly payments at 6% annual interest. The monthly interest rate is 0.005 and the present value of the payments equals the initial loan amount. The solution involves using the formula for future value and solving for the monthly payment using the discounting factor and a terminating geometric series. However, there is an algebraic error in the calculation of the monthly payment. Additionally, the assumption of the first payment being made today may not be accurate, as typically the first payment is made one month after taking out the loan.
rmiller70015

Homework Statement

This problem is for a senior level math class, but since the problem involves finance and exponentials I posted it here. There is some Taylor series stuff, but that is all of the higher math involved.

When you finance a car in equal monthly payments of 6 years at 6% annual interest, the monthly interest rate is 0.06/12 = 0.005. The present value of these monthly payments equals the initial loan ammount. If you borrow 20,000 today, then what is the monthly payment that you must make?

Hint: let x = 1/1+i be the monthly discounting factor. Equate 20000 -= M + Mx + Mx^2 + ... +M^71 and solve for M.

Homework Equations

##M + Mx + Mx^2 + Mx^3 + ... + Mx^{71} = \frac{1-x^n}{1-x}## This is a terminating geometric series so it equals that fraction.

The Attempt at a Solution

The formula for future value is: $$F = P(1 + i)^n$$

This is the monthly payment being equal to the principal times compounding factor: $$M = \sum^{71}_{0}P(1 + i)^n$$

Solving for P gives: $$P = \sum^{71}_{0}\frac{M}{(1 + i)^n}$$

72 iterations and setting ##x = \frac{1}{1.005}## gives: $$P = Mx[1 + x + x^2 + ... + x^{71}]$$

This is a terminating series: $$P = Mx(\frac{1-x^n}{1-x})$$

Solving for ##M## gives: $$M = \frac{Px(1-x)}{1-x^n}$$

Plugging in values of x and n gives: $$M = \frac{20,000\cdot \frac{1}{1.005}(1-\frac{1}{1.005})}{1-\frac{1}{1.005}^{71}} = \mathbf{\$335.34}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the step where you solve for ##M##...you have an algebraic error there.

Likes rmiller70015
rmiller70015 said:

Homework Statement

This problem is for a senior level math class, but since the problem involves finance and exponentials I posted it here. There is some Taylor series stuff, but that is all of the higher math involved.

When you finance a car in equal monthly payments of 6 years at 6% annual interest, the monthly interest rate is 0.06/12 = 0.005. The present value of these monthly payments equals the initial loan ammount. If you borrow 20,000 today, then what is the monthly payment that you must make?

Hint: let x = 1/1+i be the monthly discounting factor. Equate 20000 -= M + Mx + Mx^2 + ... +M^71 and solve for M.

Usually, if you take out a loan today you do not have to make the first payment today (which is what you are assuming when you have ##M/(1+i)^n## with ##n = 0,1, \ldots, 71##.) Instead, your first payment should be in one month's time, so you should have ##n = 1, 2, \ldots, 72.##

Likes rmiller70015

1. How does the monthly payment on a loan affect the total cost of the loan?

The monthly payment on a loan has a direct impact on the total cost of the loan. A higher monthly payment means you will pay off the loan faster and pay less interest over time. On the other hand, a lower monthly payment means you will pay more in interest over the life of the loan.

2. What factors determine the monthly payment amount on a loan?

The monthly payment amount on a loan is determined by several factors, including the loan amount, interest rate, and loan term. The higher the loan amount, the higher the monthly payment will be. Similarly, a higher interest rate or shorter loan term will also result in a higher monthly payment.

3. How can I calculate the monthly payment on a loan?

The monthly payment on a loan can be calculated using a formula known as the "loan payment formula." This formula takes into account the loan amount, interest rate, and loan term to determine the monthly payment amount. There are also online calculators and spreadsheets available to help you calculate the monthly payment on a loan.

4. Is it possible to lower my monthly payment on a loan?

Yes, it is possible to lower your monthly payment on a loan. You can do so by refinancing the loan with a lower interest rate, extending the loan term, or negotiating with the lender for a lower monthly payment. However, it's important to consider the potential impact on the total cost of the loan before making any changes.

5. What happens if I miss a monthly payment on a loan?

If you miss a monthly payment on a loan, it can result in late fees and negatively impact your credit score. Your lender may also report the missed payment to credit agencies, making it harder for you to get approved for future loans. It's important to make all monthly payments on time to avoid these consequences.