Circuit with parallel and series resistors: 12V and 24V batteries

  • Thread starter Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circuits
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
GreenPrint
Messages
1,186
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/2366/capturewvb.jpg"

Homework Equations



V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution


Given Information
V I R
Battery
R1 12 V 2 ohm
R2 4 ohm
R3 24 V 4 ohm
R4 8 ohm

I can calculate the current of R1
V = IR
I = V/R
I = 12 V/2 = 6 A = I1

pl if I'm correct sense R1 and R2 are in parrallel and right next to the battery they should share the same voltage?

R2 = 12 V
from which I can calculate the current
V = IR
I = V/R = 12 V / 4 ohm = 3 A = I2

now the current for the whole batter should just be I1 + I2? = 6 A + 3 A = 9 A = I battery

I can fidn the R battery by doing

(1/R1 + 1/R2)^-1 + (1/R3 + 1/R4)^-1 = (1/2 + 1/4)^-1 + (1/4 + 1/8)^-1 = 4 ohm = R battery

am i doing this right were do i go from here?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Find the equivalent resistance of both of the two resistors in parallel then you'll have a circuit with two resistors in series and you should be able to find what you need to find.

The voltage drop across resistors in parallel will be equal but the current will not.