Circuit is constructed with six resistors and two batteries

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with six resistors and two batteries, with given battery voltages and resistor values. The direction of the currents and the loop equations are also mentioned, with a focus on identifying any mistakes in the application of the loop rule.
PhysicsNo
<Moderator note: Thread moved from technical forums hence no homework template is shown>

A circuit is constructed with six resistors and two batteries as shown. The battery voltages are V1 = 18 V and V2 = 12 V. The positive terminals are indicated with a + sign, The values for the resistors are: R1 = R5 = 70 Ω, R2 = R6 = 105 Ω R3 = 59 Ω, and R4 = 82 Ω. The positive directions for the currents I1, I2 and I3 are indicated by the directions of the arrows.I have gone through the algebra a lot of times, with a lot of different equations. I believe my problem is with my application of the loop rule. Please, point out my mistakes here.

Equations I came up with:
1. I2 = I1 + I3
2. V2 - I2R2 - I1R1 - I6R6 = 0
3. V2 - I2R2 - I3R3 - V1 - I6R6 = 0
4. V1 + I3R3 - I1R1 = 0

Attachments

• h10_twoloop.png
    h10_twoloop.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 441
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dale said:
What is the current through R5?
Did you mean R6?

@PhysicsNo, your loop equations look fine but you've introduced a current I6 that you should be able to write in terms of other, already defined currents. Consider what applying KCL at node a tells you.

1. How do I calculate the total resistance in a circuit with six resistors and two batteries?

In order to calculate the total resistance, you will need to use Ohm's Law (R = V/I) and Kirchhoff's Laws. Begin by calculating the individual resistances of each resistor in the circuit. Then, use Kirchhoff's laws to determine the total resistance. You can also use a series or parallel resistor calculator to simplify the process.

2. What is the purpose of using two batteries in a circuit with six resistors?

The purpose of using two batteries in a circuit with six resistors is to increase the voltage and therefore, the power in the circuit. This can be useful when powering devices that require a higher voltage to function properly.

3. How do I determine the current in a circuit with six resistors and two batteries?

In order to determine the current, you will need to use Ohm's Law (I = V/R) and Kirchhoff's Laws. Begin by calculating the total resistance of the circuit. Then, use the voltage from the batteries to calculate the current using Ohm's Law. You can also use a current calculator to simplify the process.

4. Can I add more resistors to a circuit with six resistors and two batteries?

Yes, you can add more resistors to the circuit as long as the total resistance does not exceed the maximum voltage of the batteries. However, adding more resistors may decrease the current and power in the circuit.

5. How do I know if my circuit with six resistors and two batteries is functioning properly?

You can use a multi-meter to test the voltage, current, and resistance in the circuit. If the values are within the expected range, then the circuit is functioning properly. You can also troubleshoot any potential issues by checking for loose connections or damaged components.