1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuits / Switches / Currents -TRUE FALSE QUESTIONS (Pic included)

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    Circuits / Switches / Currents --TRUE FALSE QUESTIONS (Pic included)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2w6x76a.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I really have no idea, on going about solving this as I don't have my book with me and the homework is due in a few hours. I'm sure if brief explanations are provided with your're reasoning, I will be able to understand the concept.

I realize this is not the way of the physics forum, but I really am desperate right now.

Hope you guys understand. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2
    Re: Circuits / Switches / Currents --TRUE FALSE QUESTIONS (Pic included)

A current will develop in the circuit when the switch is closed. After the switch is opened, the same current is within the circuit, however, the total resistance of the circuit has changed.

When you calculate the total initial resistance, is it larger than the resistance if you were to assume the middle branch is an open circuit?

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3

lewando

Gold Member

After the switch is opened, a different current will flow, because the resistance has changed.

5. Oct 23, 2011 #4

so if I'm understanding correctly, which I'm not too sure, would it go like this?

8.True
    9.False
    10.False
    11. True
    12. True

again, it would be helpful if you can tell me why I'm incorrect rather than provide the right answer. Thanks members!

6. Oct 23, 2011 #5

lewando

Gold Member

If you would like someone to tell you why you are incorrect, you should at least explain why you think you are correct. :smile:

7. Oct 23, 2011 #6

fair enough :) I don't even know if some of my reasonings are valid haha

8. The total power that is dissipated should be conserved so True
    9. (not sure at all, just guessed)
    10. Voltage stays the same though out the circuit so False
    11. True because closing the switch causes current to flow though and increases resistance?
    12. true because uhh it sounds true :) (not sure either way)

8. Oct 23, 2011 #7

lewando

Gold Member

Sorry, this is not so. Energy may be conserved, power is another animal. The resistive load on the voltage supply changes, therefore the current changes. What is the equivalent resistance before the switch is opened? After it is opened? Assume the battery is 1.5V. What is the current (provided by the battery) before and after switch is opened? Use P=VI, P=VI, P=V2/R or P=I2R to compare power dissipated in each circuit.

After the switch is opened R2 is just dangling out there--how can current go through it?
    When you figure out what the currents are (before/after switch opened) you will be able to answer this.
    When you figure out the equivalent resistance of the circuits (before/after switch opened) you will be able to answer this.
    When you figure out the current of circuits (before/after switch opened) you will be able to answer this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook