Circuits / Switches / Currents -TRUE FALSE QUESTIONS (Pic included)

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of opening a switch on a circuit and the changes in current and resistance. The total power dissipated is not conserved, as the resistance changes when the switch is opened. The current in the circuit also changes, and the voltage remains the same throughout. The correctness of statements made about the circuit can be determined by calculating the equivalent resistance and current before and after the switch is opened.
niravana21
Circuits / Switches / Currents --TRUE FALSE QUESTIONS (Pic included)

Homework Statement

2w6x76a.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea, on going about solving this as I don't have my book with me and the homework is due in a few hours. I'm sure if brief explanations are provided with your're reasoning, I will be able to understand the concept.

I realize this is not the way of the physics forum, but I really am desperate right now.

Hope you guys understand. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

A current will develop in the circuit when the switch is closed. After the switch is opened, the same current is within the circuit, however, the total resistance of the circuit has changed.

When you calculate the total initial resistance, is it larger than the resistance if you were to assume the middle branch is an open circuit?

sandy.bridge said:
A current will develop in the circuit when the switch is closed. After the switch is opened, the same current is within the circuit, however, the total resistance of the circuit has changed.
After the switch is opened, a different current will flow, because the resistance has changed.

so if I'm understanding correctly, which I'm not too sure, would it go like this?

8.True
9.False
10.False
11. True
12. True

again, it would be helpful if you can tell me why I'm incorrect rather than provide the right answer. Thanks members!

If you would like someone to tell you why you are incorrect, you should at least explain why you think you are correct. :smile:

fair enough :) I don't even know if some of my reasonings are valid haha

8. The total power that is dissipated should be conserved so True
9. (not sure at all, just guessed)
10. Voltage stays the same though out the circuit so False
11. True because closing the switch causes current to flow though and increases resistance?
12. true because uhh it sounds true :) (not sure either way)

niravana21 said:
8. The total power that is dissipated should be conserved so True
Sorry, this is not so. Energy may be conserved, power is another animal. The resistive load on the voltage supply changes, therefore the current changes. What is the equivalent resistance before the switch is opened? After it is opened? Assume the battery is 1.5V. What is the current (provided by the battery) before and after switch is opened? Use P=VI, P=VI, P=V2/R or P=I2R to compare power dissipated in each circuit.

9. (not sure at all, just guessed)
After the switch is opened R2 is just dangling out there--how can current go through it?
10. Voltage stays the same though out the circuit so False
When you figure out what the currents are (before/after switch opened) you will be able to answer this.
11. True because closing the switch causes current to flow though and increases resistance?
When you figure out the equivalent resistance of the circuits (before/after switch opened) you will be able to answer this.
12. true because uhh it sounds true :) (not sure either way)
When you figure out the current of circuits (before/after switch opened) you will be able to answer this.

1. Is current always conserved in a circuit?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of energy, current must always be conserved in a circuit. This means that the amount of current flowing into a circuit must be equal to the amount of current flowing out of the circuit.

2. Can switches be used to control the flow of current in a circuit?

Yes, switches are a common component in circuits and can be used to open or close a path for current to flow through. When a switch is open, no current can flow through the circuit, and when it is closed, current can flow freely.

3. Do all materials conduct electricity?

No, not all materials conduct electricity. Materials that allow current to flow through them are known as conductors, while materials that do not allow current to flow are known as insulators. Examples of conductors include metals, while examples of insulators include rubber and plastic.

4. Can currents be affected by the resistance of a circuit?

Yes, the resistance of a circuit can affect the amount of current that flows through it. A higher resistance will result in a lower current, while a lower resistance will result in a higher current. This is described by Ohm's law, which states that current is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to resistance.

5. Is it possible for a circuit to have multiple paths for current to flow through?

Yes, it is possible for a circuit to have multiple paths known as branches for current to flow through. This is known as a parallel circuit and allows for different amounts of current to flow through each branch. The total current in a parallel circuit is equal to the sum of the currents in each branch.