1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current of RC Circuit After Switch is Opened

1. Mar 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See attached image for circuit diagram and givens.
    The switch has been closed for a very long time.
    a) What is the charge on the capacitor?
    b) The switch is opened at t=0 s. What current initially flows?
    2. Relevant equations
    V = IR
    Q=CV
    I=I0e-t/(RC)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the switch has been open for a long time, no current flows through the 10 Ohm resistor. Therefore,
    I = 100V/(60 Ohm + 40 Ohm) = 1 Amp, V = 1Amp*40 Ohm, and Q = 2uF * 40V = 80uC.

So my question is: Is the current that initially flows after the switch opens at t=0 s just due to the battery? So it would just be 1Amp? I'm having trouble understanding how to find the current at part b.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello MUU, :welcome:

First step is to establish where the current flows. Through an open switch ? Or elsewhere ?

4. Mar 9, 2017 #3

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello @Math-U-Up. Welcome to PF!

I think you might have misread the problem statement. According to the wording in the problem statement, initially, the switch has been closed for a very long time. That means that current has been flowing through the battery for a very long time.

At time [itex] t = 0 [/itex], the switch is opened, meaning that after [itex] t = 0 [/itex] no current flows through the battery, and any current flowing in the circuit is the result of whatever residual charge is left in the capacitor.

At least that's the way that I interpret the problem.

(A "closed" switch means that the switch can conduct current. An "open" switch does not conduct current.)

5. Mar 9, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The idea in PF is that the thread poster discovers that after a small nudge from a helper ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted