1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion 12th grade physics

1. Apr 25, 2010 #1
    From the diagram above, solve for the reaction at point A. and the tension in the cable that is attatched at point C. Assume the bar is mass-less. Block B has a mass of 124 kg. The distance from point B to point A is 3.2m, from point A to point D is 1.3 m, and point D to point C 2.1 m. The cable attaches to the wall forming a 30 degree angle with the wall.

This is an equation with an attached pic from my highschool physics class. It was a "just for fun" problem that the teacher does not expect us to be able to figure out, but I wanted to know if someone could give me some suggestions, I really have no idea. This is not for a grade, other wise I would have attempted it in a more vigourous level.

Attached Files:

• IMG.jpg
      IMG.jpg
      File size:
      9.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is usually best to break up forces into their x and y components. I don't know if you have studied free body diagrams, but if yes, you should draw one of the 'block/ cable/ support at A' system, isolating it from the wall. Note that the horizontal and vertical components of the cable force are trig related. Then use the 3 equations of equilibrium to solve for the cable tension and support reactions.

4. Apr 26, 2010 #3
    Thanks so much! I will be working on this later on today, I will let you know if I have anymore questions

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook