Circular motion and banked curve problem

In summary, the plane must bank 24.3 degrees with respect to the horizontal in order to complete the circle.
bigbk92
I am stumped on this problem. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

A plane is approaching an airport in a traffic holding pattern. While awaiting its clearence to land, the plane traverses a horizontal circle of radius 2520 meters at constant speed, Each complete turn of the circle delays the scheduled landing by another 2.5 minutes. Assume that the direction of the lift force exerted on the plane by the air is exactally perpendicular to the wing surface. Please determine, to three significant figures, the angle at which the crew must bank the plane with respect to the horizontal, in order to accomplish these turns.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram of the plane and note the forces acting on it. You should see what needs to be balanced in order for the plane to remain in the pattern.

From this I can extract the time of a rotation to be 150 seconds. And the radius is given a 2520 meters. So from this I can find radial acceleration as (4pi^2)r/t^2 or 4.42 m/s^2 After that I don't know what to do.

"Assume that the direction of the lift force exerted on the plane by the air is exactally perpendicular to the wing surface."

Does this suggest anything to you?

y components- w downward, normal force up

What would happen if the plane were not banked?

if it were not banked the plane would fly straight.

If the plane is banked, what is the direction of the lift force due to aerodynamics?

the direction would depend on the angle of the embankment

Nsin@ = ma
Ncos@ = mg
Divide equations and plug in numbers and angle should come to 24.3 degrees, is this correct?

That's what I computed. But I am having a problem understanding your notation. I would prefer if you would write one equation that balances the forces. And radially is a good direction to work with.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. This means that the object moves at a constant distance from a fixed point, while also maintaining a constant speed. An example of circular motion is a car driving around a roundabout.

2. How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is responsible for changing the direction of the object's velocity. In circular motion, centripetal force is equal to the product of the object's mass, its velocity squared, and the radius of the circle.

3. What is a banked curve?

A banked curve is a curved section of a road or track that is higher on the outer edge than on the inner edge. This allows vehicles to safely navigate the curve at high speeds by using the force of friction between the tires and the road to maintain their circular motion.

4. How does the angle of banking affect circular motion?

The angle of banking of a curve affects circular motion by providing a component of the normal force that acts as the centripetal force. As the angle of banking increases, the normal force acting on the object also increases, allowing it to maintain a higher speed while still staying on the circular path without slipping or skidding.

5. How can the equations of circular motion and banked curves be used to solve problems?

The equations of circular motion and banked curves can be used to solve problems by determining the unknown variables involved in the motion, such as velocity, radius, or angle of banking. These equations can be manipulated and solved using algebraic methods to find the desired value. They can also be used to analyze and predict the behavior of objects in circular motion, allowing for the design of safe and efficient curves for vehicles to navigate.