Circular motion: Car driving along a circular hill

In summary, at the top of the circular hill, the force on the car from the hill can be expressed as F = mg - (mv^2)/r, where m is the mass of the car, r is the radius of the hill, and v is the constant speed of the car. This is due to the presence of centripetal acceleration, which is accounted for in Newton's 2nd law.
Acid92

Homework Statement

A car of mass m is traveling along a circular hill of radius r with a constant speed v, write an expression for the force "on the car from the hill" when the car is at the top of the hill

Homework Equations

F (weight) = mg
F (centripetal) = mv^2 /r

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the force on the car from the hill is the normal to the car which at the top of the hill seems to me to be mg. The actual answer is F = mg - (mv^2)/r, I can't seem to figure out how theyve come to this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Acid92 said:
I think the force on the car from the hill is the normal to the car which at the top of the hill seems to me to be mg. The actual answer is F = mg - (mv^2)/r, I can't seem to figure out how theyve come to this.
The normal force at the top of the hill would equal mg if there were no acceleration. But there is acceleration, so apply Newton's 2nd law to figure out the normal force.

Doc Al said:
The normal force at the top of the hill would equal mg if there were no acceleration. But there is acceleration, so apply Newton's 2nd law to figure out the normal force.

Ah right, I forgot that there would be a centripetal acceleration even when the car is at the top of the hill, thanks!

mg - normal = ma = m(v^2 /r)
normal = mg =(mv^2)/r

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object maintains a constant distance from a fixed point.

How does circular motion apply to car driving along a circular hill?

In the case of a car driving along a circular hill, the car is constantly changing its direction and velocity as it moves along the curved surface of the hill. This creates a circular motion as the car maintains a constant distance from the center of the hill.

What is the role of centripetal force in circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In the case of a car driving along a circular hill, the centripetal force is provided by the friction between the car's tires and the road. This force is directed towards the center of the circular path and prevents the car from flying off the hill.

How does the speed of the car affect circular motion?

The speed of the car affects the magnitude of the centripetal force required to keep the car moving in a circular path. As the speed increases, the centripetal force must also increase to prevent the car from sliding off the hill. This is why cars must slow down when taking sharp turns on a curved road.

What other factors can affect circular motion in car driving?

In addition to speed, other factors that can affect circular motion in car driving include the mass of the car, the radius of the circular path, and the coefficient of friction between the car's tires and the road. These factors can all impact the amount of centripetal force needed to keep the car moving in a circular path.