Proper use of inequality symbols in equations to do with circular motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the proper use of inequality symbols in a problem involving a coaster car and its weight and reaction forces. The main concern is whether the inequality should be included in the calculation or not. The solution is to introduce the governing equation and argue that because the reaction force must be greater than or equal to zero, the expression must also be greater than or equal to zero. This is deemed logically sound and the person is satisfied with the explanation.
Ebby
Homework Statement
What is the minimum initial speed of the rollercoaster such that it will complete the vertical loop without falling away?
Relevant Equations
F_net_centripetal = mv^2/R
G.P.E._initial + K.E._initial = G.P.E._final + K.E._final (assuming no friction losses)
The problem itself is easy. My question is regarding the proper use of inequality symbols.

loop1.jpg

loop2.jpg

loop3.jpg

I only need to do the first part to show where I am having the issue.

The forces I need to consider are the coaster car's weight ##W = mg## and the reaction ##A## of the tracks acting on it. With the car at the top of the loop, the reaction ##A## must be greater than or equal to zero or the car will have fallen away from the tracks: $$A >= 0$$
Ignoring the inequality for the moment (yes, this isn't very mathematical), I'll just take the case when: $$A = 0$$
The governing equation is: $$A + mg = \frac {mv^2} {R}$$
When ##A = 0##, I can solve for ##v##: $$v = \sqrt {gR}$$
And now I consult my intuition. I visualise the coaster performing the loop and I "see" that I must reinsert the inequality like this:$$v >= \sqrt {gR}$$
But this isn't very satisfactory. Surely I can do this inequality stuff so that one step in the calculation properly follows another - without any tricks. Perhaps I should introduce the governing equation like so: $$A = \frac {mv^2} {R} - mg$$
And then I could argue that because actually ##A >= 0## it must also be the case that: $$\frac {mv^2} {R} - mg >= 0$$
But I'm not sure this is logically sound... Can someone explain how to do this so it makes sense to me?

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Ebby said:
Perhaps I should introduce the governing equation like so: $$A = \frac {mv^2} {R} - mg$$
And then I could argue that because actually ##A >= 0## it must also be the case that: $$\frac {mv^2} {R} - mg >= 0$$
But I'm not sure this is logically sound... Can someone explain how to do this so it makes sense to me?
Looks perfectly logical to me. What worries you?

Likes MatinSAR and PeroK
haruspex said:
Looks perfectly logical to me. What worries you?
I think I'm ok with it now. I thought that there was some circular logic in there, but on further consideration I think it's all right.

1. What is the purpose of using inequality symbols in equations related to circular motion?

The purpose of using inequality symbols in equations related to circular motion is to express the relationship between different variables involved in circular motion, such as velocity, acceleration, and radius. These symbols allow us to compare and contrast the values of these variables and determine the direction and magnitude of the motion.

2. How do I know which inequality symbol to use in a circular motion equation?

The choice of inequality symbol depends on the specific problem and what information is given. Generally, the greater than (>), less than (<), greater than or equal to (≥), and less than or equal to (≤) symbols are used to indicate the direction and magnitude of the motion. It is important to carefully read the problem and determine which symbol is appropriate for the given scenario.

3. Can I use multiple inequality symbols in one circular motion equation?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple inequality symbols in one circular motion equation. This is often the case when dealing with more complex circular motion problems that involve multiple variables and conditions. However, it is important to ensure that the symbols are used correctly and consistently throughout the equation.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using inequality symbols in circular motion equations?

One common mistake to avoid is using the wrong inequality symbol or using them incorrectly. For example, using the greater than symbol instead of the less than symbol can completely change the meaning of the equation. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of the motion and use the appropriate inequality symbol accordingly.

5. How can I check if my use of inequality symbols in a circular motion equation is correct?

To check if your use of inequality symbols in a circular motion equation is correct, you can substitute different values for the variables and see if the resulting equation makes sense. You can also graph the equation and analyze the behavior of the graph to ensure that it aligns with the expected motion. Additionally, double-checking your work and asking for feedback from a peer or instructor can also help verify the correctness of your use of inequality symbols.