Circular motion - Edexcel Past Question (Jan 2010)

In summary, the question asks for the radius of the track to be shown as 100m. The relevant equations used are the free body diagram with Fnormal and Fmg, and the centripetal force acting at a diagonal angle. The MS calculation used is: 4mg - mg (3mg) = mv2/r, with the given speed of 57 ms-1. Both parties agree that the answer is correct and there is no issue with the solution.
jsmith613

Homework Statement

I have attached the question that is troubling me including all relevant previous bits of the question along with their answers.

So the question asks me to show the radius of the track is 100m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously I draw a free body diagram with Fnormal vertically upward (as stated) and Fmg vertically downward. The centripetal force acts at a diagonal angle and is hence made by the vertical component force.
to do this calculation I need to know an angle but I don't have one??

The MS calculation is:
4mg - mg (3mg) = mv2/r
hence r = 100m (we have been told the speed is 57 ms-1)
I don't see though how this is correct
please can someone help me
thanks

Attachments

• CircMotionQuestion.doc
    65.5 KB · Views: 305
Physics news on Phys.org
I too think that is correct. I just solved it and got the same answer. Where is the problem?

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object maintains a constant distance from a fixed point.

2. What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed, while non-uniform circular motion is when an object's speed changes as it moves along a circular path.

3.What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular path, keeping an object in circular motion.

4. What is the relationship between speed and centripetal force in circular motion?

The faster an object moves in circular motion, the greater the centripetal force needed to keep it in that motion. This is because a higher speed means a greater tendency for the object to move in a straight line, so a stronger force is needed to keep it in a circular path.

5. How is circular motion related to Newton's laws of motion?

Circular motion is related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first law which states that an object will remain in motion at a constant speed and direction unless acted upon by an external force. In circular motion, the centripetal force acts as the external force that keeps the object moving along a circular path.