1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion of earth's orbit Problem

1. Sep 23, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone! Please, help me understand the following problem:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Earth's orbit around the Sun is nearly circular. The period is 1 yr = 365.25 d.
    (a) In an elapsed time of 5 d, what is Earth's angular displacement? Solved!
    (b) What is the change in Earth's velocity, Δv? Confused!

2. Relevant equations
    ω = Δθ/Δt
    v = rω

3. The attempt at a solution
    I easily solved the first problem doing this: Δθ = (2π x 5 days)/365.25 days = 0.0860 rads
    However, whenever I enter a solution for the second problem, the computer does not accept my answer, even though I'm solving it correctly. This is what I did:
    First, I tried to solve for the angular velocity of the object. Since the computer wants the answer in meters per second, I converted Δt to seconds:
    ω = Δθ/Δt = 0.0860121192 rads / (5 days x 86,400 sec) = 1.99x10^-7 rads/sec
    Now, I substitute the distance between the sun and the earth in meters and the angular velocity into v = rω to solve for v.
    v = rω = (1.5x10^14 m)(1.99x10^-7 rads/sec) = 2.99x10^7 m/s
    The correct answer, according to the computer, should be 2570 m/s.
    What am I doing wrong? :cry:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2010 #2
  4. Sep 23, 2010 #3
    Are you sure? That's similar to what I did, and that's not the answer, as I stated above.
  5. Sep 23, 2010 #4
    its 2 days over there in the link i gave

and its 5 days in your case

just make the adjustments
  6. Sep 24, 2010 #5
    Well... I exactly followed their whole procedure. I'm getting the wrong answer still, the correct answer should be 2570 m/s. Thank you for the link though! Anyone else? Help :cry:
  7. Sep 24, 2010 #6
    well may be the answer what u think is right is wrong :biggrin:
  8. Sep 24, 2010 #7
    I am coming to that conclusion :approve:. However, before telling my professor, it would be nice if someone in the Physics Forums could check my work and OK it first, if that's alright. o:)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook