Circular Motion of earth's orbit Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving Earth's orbit around the Sun and the calculation of angular displacement and velocity. The first part of the problem is easily solved, but the second part is causing confusion and the correct answer is expected to be 2570 m/s. The attempted solution involves converting time to seconds and calculating angular velocity using the formula ω = Δθ/Δt, then using the formula v = rω to calculate velocity. Despite following a similar procedure found in a previous solution, the answer is still incorrect. The individual is seeking help from others to verify their work before approaching their professor.
Selim Bradley
Hello everyone! Please, help me understand the following problem:

Homework Statement

Earth's orbit around the Sun is nearly circular. The period is 1 yr = 365.25 d.
(a) In an elapsed time of 5 d, what is Earth's angular displacement? Solved!
(b) What is the change in Earth's velocity, Δv? Confused!

Homework Equations

ω = Δθ/Δt
v = rω

The Attempt at a Solution

I easily solved the first problem doing this: Δθ = (2π x 5 days)/365.25 days = 0.0860 rads
However, whenever I enter a solution for the second problem, the computer does not accept my answer, even though I'm solving it correctly. This is what I did:
First, I tried to solve for the angular velocity of the object. Since the computer wants the answer in meters per second, I converted Δt to seconds:
ω = Δθ/Δt = 0.0860121192 rads / (5 days x 86,400 sec) = 1.99x10^-7 rads/sec
Now, I substitute the distance between the sun and the Earth in meters and the angular velocity into v = rω to solve for v.
v = rω = (1.5x10^14 m)(1.99x10^-7 rads/sec) = 2.99x10^7 m/s
The correct answer, according to the computer, should be 2570 m/s.
What am I doing wrong? :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure? That's similar to what I did, and that's not the answer, as I stated above.

Selim Bradley said:
Are you sure? That's similar to what I did, and that's not the answer, as I stated above.

its 2 days over there in the link i gave

and its 5 days in your case

just make the adjustments

sachinism said:
"just make the adjustments"

Well... I exactly followed their whole procedure. I'm getting the wrong answer still, the correct answer should be 2570 m/s. Thank you for the link though! Anyone else? Help :cry:

Selim Bradley said:
Well... I exactly followed their whole procedure. I'm getting the wrong answer still, the correct answer should be 2570 m/s. Thank you for the link though! Anyone else? Help :cry:

well may be the answer what u think is right is wrong :biggrin:

sachinism said:
well may be the answer what u think is right is wrong :biggrin:

I am coming to that conclusion :approve:. However, before telling my professor, it would be nice if someone in the Physics Forums could check my work and OK it first, if that's alright. o:)

1. What causes the Earth to orbit around the Sun?

The Earth orbits around the Sun due to the force of gravity. The Sun's massive size creates a gravitational pull that keeps the Earth in its orbit.

2. How long does it take for the Earth to complete one orbit around the Sun?

The Earth completes one orbit around the Sun in approximately 365.24 days, which is known as a tropical year. This is why we have leap years every 4 years to adjust for the extra time.

3. Does the Earth's orbit around the Sun change over time?

Yes, the Earth's orbit is not a perfect circle and it does change slightly over time. This is due to the gravitational pull of other planets and objects in our solar system.

4. What is the shape of the Earth's orbit around the Sun?

The Earth's orbit is an ellipse, with the Sun at one of the two foci. This means that the distance between the Earth and the Sun varies slightly throughout the year.

5. How does the Earth's orbit affect the seasons?

The Earth's orbit plays a major role in the changing of seasons. When the Earth is tilted towards the Sun, we experience summer in the Northern Hemisphere and winter in the Southern Hemisphere. When the Earth is tilted away from the Sun, we experience winter in the Northern Hemisphere and summer in the Southern Hemisphere.