Circular Motion - RPM and Radius question

In summary, the manufacturer claims that the CD-ROM player can spin the disc at 1200 revolutions per minute. To find the speed of the outer row of data on the disc, which is located 5.6 cm from the center, we can use the equation V = (2)(pi)(r)/T. We can also calculate the acceleration of the outer row of data using the formula a = V^2/r. Another way to approach this problem is to convert revolutions per minute to radians per minute and then to radians per second, and use the formula v = ωr.
PhysicsNoob76

Homework Statement

A manufacturer of CD-ROM drives claims that the player can spin the disc as frequently as 1200 revolutions per minute.
a. If spinning at this rate, what is the speed of the outer row of data on the disc; this row is located 5.6 cm from the center of the disc?

b. What is the acceleration of the outer row of data?

Homework Equations

f = 1/T
V = (2)(pi)(r)/T
a = V^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that rpm = T/60s, so I did rpm x 60 = T and I got 72,000 s = T (72,000 s for 1 rotation?) That is wrong, I'm not sure how to solve for T...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PhysicsNoob76! :smile:
PhysicsNoob76 said:
I know that rpm = T/60s, so I did rpm x 60 = T and I got 72,000 s = T (72,000 s for 1 rotation?) That is wrong, I'm not sure how to solve for T...

if you must do it this way, use 1200 rev per minute = 1 minute per 1200 rev,

so T = time for 1 rev = 1/1200 minutes :wink:

but the better way is to convert rev per minute to radians per minute (and then radians per second) …

then you can use speed = radians per second times radius (v = ωr) :smile:

What is circular motion and how is it measured?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. It can be measured using the concept of revolutions per minute (RPM) and the radius of the circle. RPM measures the number of complete rotations an object makes in one minute, while the radius is the distance from the center of the circle to the object.

How does the radius of a circle affect the RPM?

The radius of a circle directly affects the RPM of an object in circular motion. This is because the larger the radius, the longer the distance the object needs to travel to complete one rotation. Therefore, a larger radius will result in a lower RPM, while a smaller radius will result in a higher RPM.

What is the relationship between RPM and linear speed?

RPM and linear speed have an inverse relationship. This means that as the RPM increases, the linear speed also increases. This is because an object moving at a higher RPM will cover a larger distance in the same amount of time, resulting in a higher linear speed.

How does circular motion differ from linear motion?

Circular motion differs from linear motion in several ways. In circular motion, the object moves along a curved path, while in linear motion, the object moves along a straight path. Additionally, in circular motion, the velocity and acceleration of the object are constantly changing due to the changing direction of the object's movement, while in linear motion, the velocity and acceleration remain constant.

What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Circular motion can be observed in many everyday situations. Some examples include the movement of a Ferris wheel, a satellite orbiting the Earth, a spinning top, and the rotation of a ceiling fan. It can also be seen in the circular motion of planets around the sun and electrons around the nucleus of an atom.