1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion (standing on a carousel)

1. Jan 27, 2010 #1
    Hi again,

I'm sorry for all of the questions in this section. I am having the worst time trying to understand how to set up the problems. I know the equation for acceleration is a= V^2/r; however for this problem I am looking to find the velocity and time. Again, I would appreciate any kind of help possible.

What are the period and speed of a person on a carousel if the person has an acceleration with a magnitude of 0.7 m/s2 when she is standing 3.8 m from the axis?

What are her acceleration magnitude and speed if she then moves to a distance of 2.1 m from the carousel center and the carousel keeps rotating with the same period?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi dragonladies1! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Just apply your v2/r formula (and use v = ωr). :smile:

4. Jan 27, 2010 #3
    Thank you. Using my v2/r formula I came up with 55.63 and I"m not sure what the other formula is. My teacher hasn't mentioned anything using omega.

5. Jan 27, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

oh, it's just the fairly obvious formula that if your radius is r cm, and your angular speed is ω radians per second, then your actual speed (tangential) is ωr cm per second. :smile:

(and the period is 2π/ω seconds)

6. Jan 27, 2010 #5
    Ok, so I determined that the speed is 1.63, but I dont know why I can't figure out how to find the period for my problem. I plugged in

Period= 2π/.43=14.65.

Is this correct?

7. Jan 28, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yup! :biggrin:

(or 14.64)

(The reason why it's 2π/(angular speed) is because the period T is the time it takes to go 2π: so (angular) speed = (angular) distance over time, so ω = 2π/T. wink:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook