1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion with decreasing speed

1. Jun 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An air race pilot with 54 kg makes a vertical loop with 1200 m of radius, in such a way that the airplane's speed decreases at a constant rate.
    Knowing that the airplane's seat force acting over the pilot is 1680 N at point A and 350 N at point C, determine the airplane's seat force when the airplane is at point B.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

There are three forces acting over the object: the weight W, the centripetal force Fc and the airplane's seat force F.

I suppose at point A it's something like this:

[tex] F_c - W - F_a = 0 [/tex]

and at point C:

[tex] F_a - W - F_c = 0 [/tex]

I'm not really sure if these equations are correct. Substituting what I know I can get the speed at that points. But what should I do then to find the force acting at point B?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Since the airplane's speed decreasing at a constant rate, a tangential force is acting on the pilot in the opposite direction to plane's speed. This force in not affecting on the airplane's seat force on the pilot at A and C, but it affects at B.
    Seat force at A and C is given. From that you can find the velocity of the plane at A and C. From that you can find the retardation produced on the plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook