Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Circular motion with decreasing speed

1. Jun 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An air race pilot with 54 kg makes a vertical loop with 1200 m of radius, in such a way that the airplane's speed decreases at a constant rate.
    Knowing that the airplane's seat force acting over the pilot is 1680 N at point A and 350 N at point C, determine the airplane's seat force when the airplane is at point B.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

There are three forces acting over the object: the weight W, the centripetal force Fc and the airplane's seat force F.

I suppose at point A it's something like this:

[tex] F_c - W - F_a = 0 [/tex]

and at point C:

[tex] F_a - W - F_c = 0 [/tex]

I'm not really sure if these equations are correct. Substituting what I know I can get the speed at that points. But what should I do then to find the force acting at point B?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Since the airplane's speed decreasing at a constant rate, a tangential force is acting on the pilot in the opposite direction to plane's speed. This force in not affecting on the airplane's seat force on the pilot at A and C, but it affects at B.
    Seat force at A and C is given. From that you can find the velocity of the plane at A and C. From that you can find the retardation produced on the plane.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook