Circular Orbits and weightlessness

In summary: becausg ur moving at the same rate as the planet. for an astronaut thats what they experience when they're in space. they are weightless becausg there is no air resistance.
suwarna07

Homework Statement

A small projectile is launched parallel to the ground at height h = 1 m with sufficient speed to orbit a completely smooth, airless planet. A bug rides in a small hole inside the projectile. Is the bug weightless? Explain.

The Attempt at a Solution

I didnt understand the concept and the question so i don't know a way to start :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you need to start by looking at what forces (or more appropriately, accelerations) the bug will be experiencing. Do you know what they are?

jarednjames said:
Well you need to start by looking at what forces (or more appropriately, accelerations) the bug will be experiencing. Do you know what they are?

there certainly is Force of gravity acting downward. no air resistance coz its airless.
and nothing more i can think of

Really? So astronauts only experience gravity? Would they still be weightless if this was the case?

jarednjames said:
Really? So astronauts only experience gravity? Would they still be weightless if this was the case?

yes coz they don't have any normal force i guess

Gravity is an acceleration towards the earth. When gravity is the only force, it pulls you straight down towards the planet at Xm/s2. To be in a stable orbit (and subsequently experience weightlessness), you need to provide a specific velocity.

The projectile is neither ascending nor descending. Which means the acceleration downwards, towards the planet is equal to the centripetal acceleration.

It is in freefall.

Now, you know there's gravity acting downwards, but is anything acting upwards?

If the forces on the spacecraft are balanced so that it remains at a constant altitude, is the bug also experiencing those forces? If not, why not?

Last edited:
yea i know forces always comes in pair

and there is no Tension force hmmm is is the gravitational force by the projectile on the Earth (although i doubt it)

OR is it true that if there is no air in the planet then there is no gravity and if there is no gravity the thing keeps on moving in a constant velocity?

sorry man i am all over the place not just good with physics

Forces come in pairs? You're discussing the wrong thing.

The presence of air on a planet has nothing to do with gravity (at least it's negligable as far as you're concerned).

Forget all that stuff you just wrote, start below:

I'm going to point you to some sources for you to read as you don't appear to understand the mechanics of orbit and weightlessness.

These two are important for you to read, the second has a question for you to try:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mechanics/hump.html
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/circles/u6l4d.cfm

This is a bit detailed, but if you feel like expanding it's a good read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weightlessness

So is the bug weightless?

yes it is weightless but i am still kinda confused as u point out earlier "When gravity is the only force, it pulls you straight down towards the planet " so why isn't the astronaut orbitting Earth come straight to Earth.
Is gravity centripetal force then?

Sorry, error there (it's late I'm thinking of the wrong thing).

Gravity is the only force acting on the projectile / craft.

The orbital velocity gives centripetal acceleration towards the centre of the planet.

The projectile is constantly falling towards the planet, giving you the sensation of weightlessness.

Imagine, when you jump off something and you're falling. It's like that, but because of your orbital velocity you never hit the ground.

Read through that link I gave you, it explains it far better than I could.

Last edited:
suwarna07 said:
Is the bug weightless? Explain.
The answer is "It depends."

In particular, it depends completely on what you mean by "weightless". What do you mean by "weightless"? (Or even more important, what does your teacher / your textbook mean by the term?)

jarednjames said:
Imagine, when you jump off something and you're falling. It's like that, but because of your orbital velocity you never hit the ground.

Read through that link I gave you, it explains it far better than I could.

just like a ball moving in a uniform circular velcoity

D H said:
The answer is "It depends."

In particular, completit depends ely on what you mean by "weightless". What do you mean by "weightless"? (Or even more important, what does your teacher / your textbook mean by the term?)

its when u feel weightless

1. What causes an object to enter into a circular orbit around a larger body?

An object enters into a circular orbit around a larger body when it has enough velocity and is under the influence of that larger body's gravitational force. This combination of velocity and gravity results in a balanced centripetal force, keeping the object in a circular path.

2. How does the force of gravity change in a circular orbit?

In a circular orbit, the force of gravity remains constant. This is because the gravitational force is dependent on the masses of the two objects and the distance between them, which does not change in a circular orbit.

3. Why do objects in orbit experience weightlessness?

Objects in orbit experience weightlessness because they are in a state of constant freefall. The gravitational force acting on them is counteracted by the centrifugal force, resulting in a net force of zero. This creates the sensation of weightlessness for the objects and anyone inside them.

4. Can objects in a circular orbit accelerate?

Yes, objects in a circular orbit can accelerate. This acceleration is known as centripetal acceleration and it is directed towards the center of the circular path. However, the speed of the object remains constant, as the direction of the velocity is constantly changing.

5. How does the radius of a circular orbit affect the orbital speed?

The radius of a circular orbit has a direct effect on the orbital speed. The larger the radius, the slower the orbital speed, and vice versa. This is because the centripetal force required for circular motion is directly proportional to the square of the orbital speed, and inversely proportional to the radius.