Circulation of a flow field around circle (x-1)^2+(y-6)^2=4

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 11K views
MichielM
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A flow field on the xy-plane has the velocity components
[tex] u=3x+y [/tex]
[tex] v=2x-3y[/tex]

Show that the circulation around the circle [tex](x-1)^2+(y-6)^2=4[/tex] equals [tex]4\pi[/tex]

Homework Equations


The circulation [tex]\Gamma[/tex] around a closed contour is:
[tex]\Gamma=\int_C\vec{u}\cdot d\vec{s}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Because the contour of investigation is a circle, a parametrisation of the form [tex]x=1+4\cos\theta, y=6+4\sin\theta[/tex] should help.
The circulation then can be calculated as:

[tex] \Gamma=\int_0^{2\pi} \vec{u} \sqrt{\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta}{\right)^2+\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial \theta}{\right)^2} d\theta[/tex]

Calculating the root yields 2 so:
[tex] \Gamma=\int_0^{2\pi} 2 \vec{u} d\theta[/tex]
To get [tex]4\pi[/tex] out of this, [tex]\vec{u}[/tex] should 1, but this is the point where I don't know how to show/calculate that. The integration of the vector is the point where I get stuck. Any help is welcome!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MichielM said:
Because the contour of investigation is a circle, a parametrisation of the form [tex]x=1+4\cos\theta, y=6+4\sin\theta[/tex] should help.

Careful, the radius of the circle [itex](x-1)^2+(y-6)^2=4[/itex] is [itex]2[/itex][, not [itex]4[/itex].

The circulation then can be calculated as:

[tex] \Gamma=\int_0^{2\pi} \vec{u} \sqrt{\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta}{\right)^2+\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial \theta}{\right)^2} d\theta[/tex]

[itex]\sqrt{\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta}\right)^2+\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial \theta}\right)^2} d\theta[/itex] only gives the magnitude of the vector [itex]d\textbf{s}[/itex].

[tex]d\textbf{s}=dx\textbf{i}+dy\textbf{j}=\left(\frac{dx}{d\theta}\right)d\theta\textbf{i}+\left(\frac{dy}{d\theta}\right)d\theta\textbf{j}[/tex]

(Since [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] depend only on [itex]\theta[/itex] for this curve)
 
gabbagabbahey said:
Careful, the radius of the circle [itex](x-1)^2+(y-6)^2=4[/itex] is [itex]2[/itex][, not [itex]4[/itex].
Oops, little to quick in my steps. So instead of 4 i take 2 in those equations.

I think I got it now:

[tex] d\textbf{s}=dx\textbf{i}+dy\textbf{j}=\left(\frac{ dx}{d\theta}\right)d\theta\textbf{i}+\left(\frac{d y}{d\theta}\right)d\theta\textbf{j}=-2\sin \theta d\theta\textbf{i}+2\cos \theta d\theta\textbf{j}[/tex]

Also performing the transformation for u yields:
[tex] \vec{u}=(3x+y)\vec{i}+(2x-3y)\vec{j}=(9+6\cos\theta+2\sin\theta)\vec{i}+(-16+4\cos\theta-6\sin\theta)\vec{j}[/tex]

Plugging everything into the integral and taking boundaries 'full-circle' I get:
[tex] \Gamma=\int_0^{2\pi}-2\sin(\theta)(9+6\cos\theta+2\sin\theta)d\theta\vec{i}+2\cos(\theta)(-16+4\cos\theta-6\sin\theta)d\theta\vec{j}[/tex]

Taking the integrals there are only 2 terms which don't completely cancel, the terms coming from the integration of [tex]\sin^2(\theta)[/tex] and [tex]\cos^2(\theta)[/tex] which add up to [tex]\Gamma=-4\pi \vec{i}+8\pi \vec{j}[/tex]. Adding up this yields [tex]4\pi[/tex] but how come I can just add those two component up? Because I integrated both parts to the same parameter?
 
[tex] \Gamma=\int_0^{2\pi}-2\sin(\theta)(9+6\cos\theta+2\sin\theta)d\theta\vec{i}+2\cos(\theta)(-16+4\cos\theta-6\sin\theta)d\theta\vec{j}[/tex]

The integrand is a dot product. If you compute the dot product of [itex]\mathbf{u}\cdot \mathbf{v}[/itex] you should get a scalar, not a vector.

[tex](u_1 \vec{\mathbf{i}} + u_2 \vec{\mathbf{j}}) \cdot (v_1 \vec{\mathbf{i}} + v_2 \vec{\mathbf{j}}) = u_1 v_1 + u_2 v_2[/tex]

Everything else you did is fine. You just have extra [itex]\vec{\mathbf{i}}[/itex]'s and [itex]\vec{\mathbf{j}}[/itex] where there should be none.
 
ah I see, thanks! My vector algebra has become a bit rusty in the last years.