Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Circumcision & Bad Habits (warning: sensitive topic and/or graphic)

1. Not affect frequency

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Affect frequenct

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Solve problem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sep 15, 2008 #1
    I have no where else to go to, and posting anonymously on a public computer seems to be my best bet because I have lurked these forums for a while and believe most members here are intelligent enough to provide an objective answer. As I've already stated, this issue may be sensitive to some viewers and I apologize if you are offended. Now then, onto the issue.

I am uncircumsized. And I have a "bad habit". Bad to the point of addiction. My foreskin is unsually long, and I think the extra sensitivity is part of the problem. I've gone to several psychiatrists and recieved a deep analysis, but insight as it seems has helped very little. Some suggested radical solutions but I don't want to risk being sterile. One suggests circumcision. He claims it reduces the urge, although he admits this claim is not very scientific. But it seems to be the only thing left unless I consider dangerous drugs. However, I have read several internet entries claiming this is not the case at all. This is where I need some advice... please leave comments and/or poll entries.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd visit a doctor first rather than the psychologist and see if there is any reason why you would be hypersensitive other than the fact you have a foreskin. The majority of people in the UK are in tact and they don't have a problem.

4. Sep 16, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

As Kurdt said, you should see a medical doctor. We cannot diagnose your problem here.

5. Sep 16, 2008 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You could try keeping your foreskin pulled back, exposing the glans. It takes a while to get used to it, but if your foreskin will stay back on its own, that will reduce the sensitivity of the glans over time.

6. Sep 16, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Circumcision will not reduce urges. If anything, reducing sensitivity might only make matters worse by leading you to crave more of something that becomes harder to achieve.

Have you only seen psychiatrists? And are they really psychiatrists (as in, have a medical degree) or are you incorrectly calling psychologists or therapists by that name? Before giving up hope or doing anything too drastic, try consulting an endocrinologist or neurologist to make sure there isn't some other physical factor that can be addressed (i.e., overproduction of a hormone). If all checks out then back the psychiatrist to treat it like any other addiction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?