1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Citation Help with a Josephson effect Paper

1. Nov 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We are to give a class presentation and turn in a LaTeX paper as a sort of book report on a topic in solid state physics. I chose the Josephson Effect.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I am working on the bibliography for the paper. Is it customary to cite whole chapters from a book if I have picked out several ideas from different sections in a chapter, or should I have a separate reference to each page in the book. That seems strange to me, or should I even cite the page where I got the information from at all. Any tips would be appreciated. What is customary in a scientific paper?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a bibliography, usually citing the title and author of the work will suffice. If you are preparing a combined footnote/bibliography, you may cite the same reference multiple times, in which case, either a page number (range) or chapter should be indicated to keep the reader from having to page thru an entire book.

If you are citing another scientific paper, the title, author, journal name, and page range for the entire paper should suffice, since most papers are usually much shorter than book-length treatises.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook