Citation Help with a Josephson effect Paper

• Thread starter kq6up
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements for a class presentation and LaTeX paper on the Josephson Effect in solid state physics. The main focus is on how to properly cite sources in the bibliography, with the suggestion to cite the title and author for a book and include page numbers or chapter for multiple references. It is also mentioned that for scientific papers, citing the title, author, journal name, and page range should suffice.
kq6up

Homework Statement

We are to give a class presentation and turn in a LaTeX paper as a sort of book report on a topic in solid state physics. I chose the Josephson Effect.

Homework Equations

N/A[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am working on the bibliography for the paper. Is it customary to cite whole chapters from a book if I have picked out several ideas from different sections in a chapter, or should I have a separate reference to each page in the book. That seems strange to me, or should I even cite the page where I got the information from at all. Any tips would be appreciated. What is customary in a scientific paper?

Thanks,
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
kq6up said:

Homework Statement

We are to give a class presentation and turn in a LaTeX paper as a sort of book report on a topic in solid state physics. I chose the Josephson Effect.

Homework Equations

N/A[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am working on the bibliography for the paper. Is it customary to cite whole chapters from a book if I have picked out several ideas from different sections in a chapter, or should I have a separate reference to each page in the book. That seems strange to me, or should I even cite the page where I got the information from at all. Any tips would be appreciated. What is customary in a scientific paper?

Thanks,
Chris
For a bibliography, usually citing the title and author of the work will suffice. If you are preparing a combined footnote/bibliography, you may cite the same reference multiple times, in which case, either a page number (range) or chapter should be indicated to keep the reader from having to page thru an entire book.

If you are citing another scientific paper, the title, author, journal name, and page range for the entire paper should suffice, since most papers are usually much shorter than book-length treatises.

Likes kq6up

1. What is the Josephson effect?

The Josephson effect is a phenomenon in superconductors where a supercurrent flows between two superconducting materials separated by a thin insulating layer.

2. How do I properly cite a paper on the Josephson effect?

Citing a paper on the Josephson effect follows the same format as citing any other scientific paper. You will need to include the author(s), title, journal or publication information, and the date of publication. If the paper is available online, you should also include a URL or DOI.

3. Where can I find more information about the Josephson effect?

There are many resources available for learning more about the Josephson effect. Some popular sources include scientific journals, textbooks, and online databases such as Google Scholar or ScienceDirect. You can also attend conferences or workshops related to superconductivity to learn from experts in the field.

4. Are there any specific citation styles for a paper on the Josephson effect?

There are various citation styles used in scientific papers, such as APA, MLA, and Chicago style. It is important to use the citation style required by the journal or publication you are submitting to. If there is no specific style requested, you can use any commonly accepted style for scientific papers.

5. Can I cite a paper on the Josephson effect even if I did not use it in my research?

Yes, it is important to properly cite any sources that you reference or use in your paper, even if it is not directly related to your research. This gives credit to the original authors and allows readers to find and read the source for more information.