Cities to be Lit by Bioluminescent Trees

1. Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

Future Cities Lit by Beautiful Bioluminescent Trees
    http://blog.suny.edu/2014/03/future-cities-lit-by-beautiful-bioluminescent-trees/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Q_Goest

Q_Goest 2,967
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How about house plants? We could light our homes with them!

4. [​IMG]

5. Evo

Staff: Mentor

There is a large chemical company that has a huge experimental farm near me. There is actually a guard shack at the entrance, it looks like a military compound. One night, a few years ago, as I was cresting a hill near the farm, I noticed that one of their cornfields had an eerie green glow. I googled and found references to experiments to make corn glow, no idea what I saw.

6. Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

What is the upside to glowing corn? Novelty popcorn?

7. Evo

Staff: Mentor

You can pick corn at night. :tongue: I guess it was just to see if it could be done. Of course, they could have placed green glowing lights all through the field, you could not see the fields normally, they are surrounded by high walls.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  8. Monique

Monique 4,700
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Ygggdrasil

Ygggdrasil 1,570
    Science Advisor

At one point, researchers were discussing making plants that bioluminesce in response to injury from pests or disease. I have no idea if anyone has gone forward with that idea.

10. Andy Resnick

Andy Resnick 5,818
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

11. Monique

Monique 4,700
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about engineering it into fruit, so they'll glow at a perfect time to eat. Or in animal muscle tissue, to glow when meat is spoiled. Possibilities are endless, but will society let such freak products free into nature?

12. SteamKing

SteamKing 8,860
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sheldon Cooper already got his goldfish which glow in the dark.

13. DrClaude

DrClaude 2,287
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't subscribe to the views of the people depicted in nsaspook's post, but I don't agree that the the adjective "naturally" applies here.

14. I see this thread was actually posted on April 1st, April Fools day, but I just had to respond that I want one of those trees. NOW!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted