Can Citrix Metaframe App Server Support Adobe Applications for Local Users?

• Thread starter Considering
  • Start date
  • Tags
    App Server
In summary: Citrix is overpriced IMHO...In summary, using Citrix or Terminal Services to load applications on a local machine does not seem to be the most effective or cost effective solution.
Considering
Any Citrix/Terminal Services gurus around?
In an effort to cut costs and boost ROI, I'm thinking about introducing a Citrix box (or just using Windows TS) to load a few applications on for our LOCAL users to access - as in they will have a connection to the box at GigE speeds.
The applications I would like to load are mostly Adobe, such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Acrobat. We have roughly 30 users that would need access - not all at the same time, generally. I would estimate that a max of 15 would be logged in at anyone time.
So I'm basically wondering if anyone has implemented a similar solution before, who can offer some observations on their own operating environment and how effective it was.
Thanks...

Computer science news on Phys.org
You arent going to get ROI on 30 users with Citrix... Photoshop etc are heavy on resources, I wouldn't suggest using them with any terminal server.

Are Adobe licenses per seat anyway?

I'm not sure, to tell you the truth. I do know they have no server-based licensing scheme, which sucks. That would solve all my problems...
So I'm stuck buying $900 creative suite licenses for 40 users - which was already planned for, but it would've been nice to pare that budget down some.
Thanks for the info...

Yep Adobe's pricing is scandelous.. But so is Citrix's.. Many people get very annoyed with M$'s OS prices, but they are cheaper than adobe per line of code any day...

If you really need to cut costs, why not do something silly with XP remote desktop, and setup a few boxs with Creative suit, and train users to remote into them and do there work. If you are using M$ 2003 AD then you can create some VB/shell scripts to get their drives mapped on logon, so they can get to them from there local PC also..

No where near optimal and totally ugly but would work, and would be cheaper than Citirix licenses and 50 odd Adobe CS Licenses...

All youd need is 2003 server license
XP licenses
A few spare workstations
The same amount of CS license

Off course the people who use CS may say there productivity will fall and thus you wouldn't really be saving money...

Good luck anyway

1. What is Citrix Metaframe App Server?

Citrix Metaframe App Server is a software application that allows users to access virtualized applications and desktops remotely from any device. It is commonly used in business environments to provide secure and efficient remote access to applications and data.

2. How does Citrix Metaframe App Server work?

Citrix Metaframe App Server uses a client-server architecture where the server hosts the applications and desktops, and the client devices connect to the server to access them. The server uses virtualization technology to deliver the applications and desktops to the client devices, allowing for a seamless user experience.

3. What are the benefits of using Citrix Metaframe App Server?

Some of the key benefits of using Citrix Metaframe App Server include increased flexibility and mobility, improved security, and reduced hardware and maintenance costs. It also allows for easier application deployment and management, as well as enhanced collaboration among remote users.

4. Is Citrix Metaframe App Server compatible with all devices?

Yes, Citrix Metaframe App Server is compatible with a wide range of devices, including desktop computers, laptops, tablets, and smartphones. As long as the device has an internet connection and a compatible web browser, it can access applications and desktops through Citrix Metaframe App Server.

5. Can multiple users access the same application through Citrix Metaframe App Server simultaneously?

Yes, Citrix Metaframe App Server allows for multiple users to access the same application simultaneously. The server is capable of handling a large number of connections and can provide a consistent experience for all users, regardless of their location or device.