Clarification of a line in a proof

• I
  • Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Proof
In summary, the error in the equation is likely a typo and does not affect the validity of the proof.
Mr Davis 97
This comes from a line of a proof in my book, and I need help resolving why the equality is true. Suppose that ##M>N##. Why is it true that ##\displaystyle \sup \{\frac{1}{n} (s_{N+1} + \cdots + s_n) ~|~ n>M \} = \frac{n-N}{n}\sup \{s_n ~|~ n > N \}##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
This comes from a line of a proof in my book, and I need help resolving why the equality is true. Suppose that ##M>N##. Why is it true that ##\displaystyle \sup \{\frac{1}{n} (s_{N+1} + \cdots + s_n) ~|~ n>M \} = \frac{n-N}{n}\sup \{s_n ~|~ n > N \}##?
It's hard to tell without seeing what came before. You can set up a string of inequalities to show that ##\displaystyle \sup \{\frac{1}{n} (s_{N+1} + \cdots + s_n) ~|~ n>M \} \leq \frac{n-N}{n}\sup \{s_n ~|~ n > N \}##. Do you have any information to show ##\geq##?

tnich said:
It's hard to tell without seeing what came before. You can set up a string of inequalities to show that ##\displaystyle \sup \{\frac{1}{n} (s_{N+1} + \cdots + s_n) ~|~ n>M \} \leq \frac{n-N}{n}\sup \{s_n ~|~ n > N \}##. Do you have any information to show ##\geq##?
Here is the context of the solution: https://math.berkeley.edu/~talaska/old-104/hw06-sol.pdf

My issue is in the bottom half of the first page.

For further context, the problem is

Let ##(s_n)## be a sequence of nonnegative numbers, and for each ##n## define ##\sigma_n = 1/n(s_1 + s_2 + · · · + s_n)##. Show ##\lim \inf s_n \le \lim \inf \sigma_n \le \lim \sup \sigma_n \le \lim \sup s_n##.

Mr Davis 97 said:
Here is the context of the solution: https://math.berkeley.edu/~talaska/old-104/hw06-sol.pdf

My issue is in the bottom half of the first page.

For further context, the problem is

Let ##(s_n)## be a sequence of nonnegative numbers, and for each ##n## define ##\sigma_n = 1/n(s_1 + s_2 + · · · + s_n)##. Show ##\lim \inf s_n \le \lim \inf \sigma_n \le \lim \sup \sigma_n \le \lim \sup s_n##.
I think the = sign is an error. It should be ##\leq##. It doesn't invalidate the proof because it is in a string of inequalities anyway.

1. What does it mean to "clarify a line" in a proof?

Clarifying a line in a proof means to provide a more detailed explanation or justification for a particular step in the proof. This can be done to make the proof more understandable or to address any potential confusion or questions that may arise.

2. Why is it important to clarify a line in a proof?

Clarifying a line in a proof is important because it helps to ensure the accuracy and validity of the proof. It also allows others to follow the reasoning and understand the steps taken to reach the conclusion.

3. How do you know when a line in a proof needs clarification?

There are a few signs that a line in a proof may need clarification. These include unclear or vague language, an assumption that may not be obvious, or a step that seems to be missing in the logical progression of the proof.

4. Can you provide an example of clarifying a line in a proof?

Sure, for example, in a proof by induction, one may need to clarify a line by explicitly stating the base case and the inductive hypothesis before proceeding with the inductive step. This helps to make the proof more understandable and convincing.

5. How can one effectively clarify a line in a proof?

To effectively clarify a line in a proof, one can use clear and concise language, provide necessary definitions or background information, and explain any assumptions or intermediate steps taken in the proof. It can also be helpful to provide visual aids or examples to make the clarification more concrete.