Real Numbers & Sequences of Rationals .... Garling, Corollary 3.2.7 ....

In summary: For ##n = 3## we have ... ...##x - \frac{1}{3} = x - \frac{1}{6} \lt x## ......So, the proof of Corollary 3.2.7 uses the following recursion: Let ##r_n## be the 'best' rational with ##x \lt r_n \lt x##.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary
For any given real number x, there exists a strictly increasing sequence of rationals that converges to x as a limit ... same for a strictly decreasing sequence of rationals ...
I am reading D. J. H. Garling's book: "A Course in Mathematical Analysis: Volume I: Foundations and Elementary Real Analysis ... ...

I am focused on Chapter 3: Convergent Sequences ... ...

I need some help to fully understand the proof of Corollary 3.2.7 ...Garling's statement and proof of Corollary 3.2.7 (together with Proposition 3.2.6 which is mentioned in Corollary 3.2.7 ... ) reads as follows:
Garling - Corollary  3.2.7 ... and Proposition 3.2.6  ... .png

My questions related to the above Corollary are as follows:
Question 1

In the above proof of Corollary 3.2.7 we read the following:

" ... ... Arguing recursively, let ##r_n## be the 'best' rational with##\text{max} ( x - \frac{1}{n} , r_{ n - 1 } ) \lt r_n \lt x## ... ... "Can someone please explain (preferably in some detail) what is going on here ... how do we arrive at the expression

##\text{max} ( x - \frac{1}{n} , r_{ n - 1 } ) \lt r_n \lt x## ... ... ?Question 2

" ... ... let ##s_n## be the 'best' rational with

##x \lt s_n \lt \text{min} ( x + \frac{1}{n}, s_{ n - 1 } )## ... ... "Can someone please explain (preferably in some detail) what is going on here ... how do we arrive at the expression

##x \lt s_n \lt \text{min} ( x + \frac{1}{n}, s_{ n - 1 } )## ... ... ?
Help will be appreciated ...

Peter==========================================================================================The post above mentions Theorem 3.1.1 and alludes to the remarks made after the proof of Theorem 3.1.1 ... so I am providing text of the theorem and the relevant remarks ... as follows:
Garling - 1 - Theorem 3.1.1 ...  ... PART 1 ... .png

Garling - 2 - Theorem 3.1.1 ...  ... PART 2 ... .png
Hope that helps ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
This proof uses induction to construct sequences ##(s_n)_n, (r_n)_n##. To see what is really happening, just write out what happens when we jump from ##1## to ##2##. The following steps ##2\to 3, 3 \to 4, \dots## are just what the induction step makes formal.

So, we have ##x-1 < r_1 < x##. Then we have ##\max(x-1/1,r_1) < x## (because both ##r_1< x## and ##x-1/1 < x##, thus you can pick a 'best rational' ##r_2## with ##\max(x-1/2,r_1) < r_2 < x##.

Now, repeat this construction.

In my opinion, the induction could have been a lot clearer if the author has just added the sentence

Suppose ##r_1, \dots, r_{n-1}## are already constructed. And then proceed with the induction step.

Please let know if this answers your questions.

Hmmm ... will spend some time doing what you say ... but basically still struggling ...

Peter

Can you write out how the proof constructs ##r_3## given ##r_2##, as constructed in my post?

Likes Math Amateur
Math Amateur said:
Summary: For any given real number x, there exists a strictly increasing sequence of rationals that converges to x as a limit ... same for a strictly decreasing sequence of rationals ...

I am reading D. J. H. Garling's book: "A Course in Mathematical Analysis: Volume I: Foundations and Elementary Real Analysis ... ...

I need some help to fully understand the proof of Corollary 3.2.7 ...Garling's statement and proof of Corollary 3.2.7 (together with Proposition 3.2.6 which is mentioned in Corollary 3.2.7 ... ) reads as follows:View attachment 244240

Question 1

" ... ... Arguing recursively, let ##r_n## be the 'best' rational with##\text{max} ( x - \frac{1}{n} , r_{ n - 1 } ) \lt r_n \lt x## ... ... "Can someone please explain (preferably in some detail) what is going on here ... how do we arrive at the expression

##\text{max} ( x - \frac{1}{n} , r_{ n - 1 } ) \lt r_n \lt x## ... ... ?Question 2

##x \lt s_n \lt \text{min} ( x + \frac{1}{n}, s_{ n - 1 } )## ... ... "Can someone please explain (preferably in some detail) what is going on here ... how do we arrive at the expression

Peter==========================================================================================The post above mentions Theorem 3.1.1 and alludes to the remarks made after the proof of Theorem 3.1.1 ... so I am providing text of the theorem and the relevant remarks ... as follows:
View attachment 244242
View attachment 244243Hope that helps ...

Peter
Math_QED said:
Can you write out how the proof constructs ##r_3## given ##r_2##, as constructed in my post?
Thanks Math_QED ... appreciate your help ...

I will try to show Garling's recursion process for n = 1, 2 and 3 ...For ##n = 1## we have ... ...

Let ##r_1## be the 'best' rational with ##x - 1 \lt r_1 \lt x##
For ##n = 2## we have ... ...

##x - \frac{1}{n} = x - \frac{1}{2} \lt x## ... ... and ... ... ##r_{ n - 1 } = r_1 \lt x## ... ...

and so ... ##\text{max} ( x - \frac{1}{2} , r_1 ) \lt x##

Therefore we can pick/construct a 'best' rational ##r_2## ...

... such that ... ##\text{max} ( x - \frac{1}{2} , r_1 ) \lt r_2 \lt x## ... ... ... ... ... NOTE: ##r_1 \lt r_2##
For ##n = 3## we have ... ...

##x - \frac{1}{n} = x - \frac{1}{3} \lt x## ... ... and ... ... ##r_{ n - 1 } = r_2 \lt x## ... ...

and so ... ##\text{max} ( x - \frac{1}{3} , r_2 ) \lt x##

Therefore we can pick/construct a 'best' rational ##r_3## ...

... such that ... ##\text{max} ( x - \frac{1}{3} , r_2 ) \lt r_3 \lt x## ... ... ... ... ... NOTE: ##r_1 \lt r_2 \lt r_3##
The above analysis indicates that ##(r_n)_{ n = 1}^\infty## is strictly increasing and bounded above by ##x## ...

... indeed ##\text{sup} \{ r_n \ : \ n \in \mathbb{N} \} = x## ...

... so ##r_n \longrightarrow x## as ##n \longrightarrow \infty## ...By a similar argument involving the infimum, ##s_n \longrightarrow x## as ##n \longrightarrow \infty## ...Is the above correct?

Peter

Math Amateur said:

I will try to show Garling's recursion process for n = 1, 2 and 3 ...For ##n = 1## we have ... ...

##x - \frac{1}{n} = x - \frac{1}{2} \lt x## ... ... and ... ... ##r_{ n - 1 } = r_1 \lt x## ... ...

... such that ... ##\text{max} ( x - \frac{1}{2} , r_1 ) \lt r_2 \lt x## ... ... ... ... ... NOTE: ##r_1 \lt r_2##

##x - \frac{1}{n} = x - \frac{1}{3} \lt x## ... ... and ... ... ##r_{ n - 1 } = r_2 \lt x## ... ...

... such that ... ##\text{max} ( x - \frac{1}{3} , r_2 ) \lt r_3 \lt x## ... ... ... ... ... NOTE: ##r_1 \lt r_2 \lt r_3##
The above analysis indicates that ##(r_n)_{ n = 1}^\infty## is strictly increasing and bounded above by ##x## ...

... so ##r_n \longrightarrow x## as ##n \longrightarrow \infty## ...By a similar argument involving the infimum, ##s_n \longrightarrow x## as ##n \longrightarrow \infty## ...Is the above correct?

Peter

Yes, well done! I see that you understand well what's happening now.

This is key if you don't understand what in induction process does. Write it out for the first couple of steps! It becomes often very obvious what is happening.

Likes Math Amateur
Math Amateur said:
Summary: For any given real number x, there exists a strictly increasing sequence of rationals that converges to x as a limit ... same for a strictly decreasing sequence of rationals ...

I need some help to fully understand the proof of Corollary 3.2.7 ...Garling's statement and proof of Corollary 3.2.7 (together with Proposition 3.2.6 which is mentioned in Corollary 3.2.7 ... ) reads as follows:View attachment 244240

Question 1

View attachment 244242
View attachment 244243Hope that helps ...

Peter
Math_QED said:
Yes, well done! I see that you understand well what's happening now.

This is key if you don't understand what in induction process does. Write it out for the first couple of steps! It becomes often very obvious what is happening.
Thanks again Math_QED

Peter

Math Amateur said:

Peter

Well, maybe one more remark: the convergence of the two sequences follows from the squeeze theorem (as in the proof of author), but what you wrote is correct as well.

Likes Math Amateur

1. What are real numbers?

Real numbers are numbers that can be represented on a number line and include both rational and irrational numbers. They are used to represent quantities and measurements in mathematics and can be positive, negative, or zero.

2. What are sequences of rationals?

Sequences of rationals are infinite lists of numbers that are all rational. They can be written in the form of a_n, where n is a positive integer and a_n is the nth term in the sequence. These sequences can be used to approximate real numbers.

3. What is Corollary 3.2.7 in Garling's book?

Corollary 3.2.7 in Garling's book states that if a sequence of rationals converges to a real number x, then there exists a subsequence of the sequence that converges to x as well. In other words, if a sequence of rational numbers gets closer and closer to a real number, then there will be a smaller sequence within it that also gets closer to that real number.

4. How are real numbers and sequences of rationals related?

Real numbers can be approximated by sequences of rationals. This means that a sequence of rational numbers can get closer and closer to a real number, but it may never reach the exact value of the real number. Real numbers and sequences of rationals are both used in mathematics to represent quantities and measurements.

5. Why are real numbers and sequences of rationals important in mathematics?

Real numbers and sequences of rationals are important in mathematics because they allow us to represent and approximate real-world quantities and measurements. They are also used in various mathematical concepts and equations, making them essential in many areas of mathematics such as calculus and analysis.