Clarification of a passage from the Schwartz QFT text

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi, would like some clarification on this passage from Matthew D. Schwartz's QFT text regarding renormalization on page 297, 15.4.1 Renormalization of ##\lambda##:

"First of all, notice that, while ##M(s)## (the ##\phi\phi\rightarrow\phi\phi## scattering matrix for ##\phi^4## theory) is infinite, the difference between ##M(s_1)## and ##M(s_2)## at two different scales is finite:$$M(s_1)-M(s_2)=\frac{\lambda^2}{32\pi^2}\ln(\frac{s_2}{s_1}).$$ Should we also expect that ##M(s)## itself be finite? After all, ##M^2## is supposed to be a physical cross section.
To answer this, let us think more about ##\lambda##. It should be characterizing the strength of the ##phi^4## interaction. So to measure ##\lambda## we would simply measure the cross section for ##\phi\phi\rightarrow\phi\phi## scattering, or equivalently, ##M##. But this matrix element is not just proportional to ##\lambda## but also has the ##\lambda^2## correction above. Thus, it is impossssible to simply extract ##\lambda## from this scattering process."

I'm a bit confused by the part in bold, can't we determine ##\lambda## from the difference in scattering cross-sections that he just wrote down?

Answers and Replies

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
I'm not sure what Schwartz is after. I've the book not here, but I guess what he means is the following: The ##\lambda## is the bare coupling and is infinite and unobservable. However, you can use the elastic scattering cross section to define a finite renormalized value for ##\lambda## at some given scale ##s_R## by measuring the cross section. Then you express everything in terms of renormalized quantities and everything is finite. However, the renormalized coupling constants (and wave-function normalization as well as masses) have to be changed, when the renormalization scale ##s_R## is changed, such that the cross section stays unchanged. That demand leads to the running of the renormalized coupling constant, wavefunction normalization constants, and masses governed by the socalled renormalization-group equation. For my treatment of renormalization, see

https://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf