Clarification of the Pauli exclusion princple

• I
  • Thread starter HomogenousCow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pauli
In summary, the conversation discusses a clarification on the Pauli exclusion principle and the concept of two-particle states. The speaker asks why, in textbooks, it is often reasoned that electrons must occupy distinct atomic/spin orbitals due to the exclusion principle, when the principle does not demand this. The other speaker explains that the exclusion principle demands that the single-particle states used to build antisymmetric states are nonequal, and there is no requirement for them to be distinct eigenstates of the Hamiltonian. They also mention that there is a continuum of spin states that can be written down.
HomogenousCow
TL;DR Summary
Clarification on Pauli exclusion princple.
The exlcusion principle seems intuitive enough to me when the states being considered are eigenstates, however how does it work exactly with general states? It seems to me that if we're allowed to consider general quantum states then the principle breaks down, since we can always find states that are only infinitesimally distinct. For example if we had ##N## free fermions, couldn't we have them all in the same exact momentum state but simply with infinitesimally small but distinct contributions from other states? I ask this because I do not entirely understand why electrons in atomic orbits are always assumed to be in energy eigenstates and hence strongly affected by the exclusion principle, couldn't we have all the electrons in an atom in the ground state but each with a different superposition of spin up and down?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HomogenousCow said:
Summary: Clarification on Pauli exclusion princple.

The exlcusion principle seems intuitive enough to me when the states being considered are eigenstates, however how does it work exactly with general states? It seems to me that if we're allowed to consider general quantum states then the principle breaks down, since we can always find states that are only infinitesimally distinct. For example if we had ##N## free fermions, couldn't we have them all in the same exact momentum state but simply with infinitesimally small but distinct contributions from other states? I ask this because I do not entirely understand why electrons in atomic orbits are always assumed to be in energy eigenstates and hence strongly affected by the exclusion principle, couldn't we have all the electrons in an atom in the ground state but each with a different superposition of spin up and down?

You have a conceptual misunderatnding about two-particle states. If you have two identical fermions, electrons say, in the same system, then you cannot talk about "the state of electron A" and "the state of electron B". There is only the state of the two-particle system.

It is not possible, therefore, to talk about electron A being in one state and electron B being in a slighty different state. There is only one state describing both electrons.

Now, the state of a two particle system is a combination of one particle states. And, for identical fermions it must be antisymmetric. And this implies that if you measure both particles you cannot find them in exactly the same state - regardless of how you construct the state of the two-particle system. Or, more precisely, you cannot get exactly the same quantum numbers for both electrons.

It's not a question of eigenstates, although because every state of a two-particle system is a linear combination of eigenstates, the eigenstates themselves must be antisysmmetric.

Likes vanhees71 and 256bits
PeroK said:
You have a conceptual misunderatnding about two-particle states. If you have two identical fermions, electrons say, in the same system, then you cannot talk about "the state of electron A" and "the state of electron B". There is only the state of the two-particle system.

It is not possible, therefore, to talk about electron A being in one state and electron B being in a slighty different state. There is only one state describing both electrons.

Now, the state of a two particle system is a combination of one particle states. And, for identical fermions it must be antisymmetric. And this implies that if you measure both particles you cannot find them in exactly the same state - regardless of how you construct the state of the two-particle system. Or, more precisely, you cannot get exactly the same quantum numbers for both electrons.

It's not a question of eigenstates, although because every state of a two-particle system is a linear combination of eigenstates, the eigenstates themselves must be antisysmmetric.

I may have misphrased my question but all of this is very familiar to me. What I'm asking about is why in textbooks it's often reasoned that due to the exclusion principle electrons must inhabit distinct atomic/spin orbitals, when the exclusion principle does not in principle demand this.

For example, at zero temperature why isn't it the case that all electrons simply inhabit the ground state but with different spin states? There's a continuum of spin states that one can come up with and as long as they're all different the totally anti-symmetric state is nonzero.

HomogenousCow said:
I may have misphrased my question but all of this is very familiar to me. What I'm asking about is why in textbooks it's often reasoned that due to the exclusion principle electrons must inhabit distinct atomic/spin orbitals, when the exclusion principle does not in principle demand this.
I don't get it. This is exactly what the Pauli exclusion principle demands. For electrons, it is of course an approximation to write the many-particle state as a product of single-electron eigenstates, as these states are going to be modified by the presence of the other electrons, but the result would be the same even accounting for electron-electron interaction.

HomogenousCow said:
There's a continuum of spin states that one can come up with
What is that continuum of spin states?

DrClaude said:
I don't get it. This is exactly what the Pauli exclusion principle demands. For electrons, it is of course an approximation to write the many-particle state as a product of single-electron eigenstates, as these states are going to be modified by the presence of the other electrons, but the result would be the same even accounting for electron-electron interaction.

But the exclusion principle simply demands that the single-particle states we use to build up our antisymmetric states are nonequal, there is absolutely no requirement that they be distinct eigenstates of the Hamiltonian. Since our states are defined on the field of conitnuous complex numbers there are an incountably infinite number of general quantum states.

DrClaude said:
What is that continuum of spin states?

The entire 2-dimensional space of spin states. You can write down as many distinct spin kets as you want.

HomogenousCow said:

For example, at zero temperature why isn't it the case that all electrons simply inhabit the ground state but with different spin states? There's a continuum of spin states that one can come up with and as long as they're all different the totally anti-symmetric state is nonzero.
Fundamentally you are still talking about single electron states where these are not directly relevant to a multi-particle system such as an atom.

Your logic demands that the electrons can be considered separately. But they cannot. All the allowable states for a multi-electron system are antisymmetri combinations of single electron states. It's the rules governing the combination of states that imply the PEP. Not, as you insist, the single particle states for a single electron.

HomogenousCow said:
The entire 2-dimensional space of spin states. You can write down as many distinct spin kets as you want.
Could you write it down for two electrons?

Likes PeroK
HomogenousCow said:
Which is almost entirely irrelevant when you have two or more identical fermions.

PeroK said:
Your logic demands that the electrons can be considered separately. But they cannot. All the allowable states for a multi-electron system are antisymmetri combinations of single electron states. It's the rules governing the combination of states that imply the PEP. Not, as you insist, the single particle states for a single electron.

I understand this entirely, I am referring to the single-particle states that we use to form totally-antisymmetric tensor products.

HomogenousCow said:
I understand this entirely, I am referring to the single-particle states that we use to form totally-antisymmetric tensor products.
If you understood that entirely you wouldn't be asking the question.

You need to do as @DrClaude suggests and actually construct the antisymmetric product for three electrons where only the spin component differs.

Or two electrons where a measurement could return the same spin for each.

Last edited:
HomogenousCow said:

PS note that the basis for your two electron spins states are the singlet and triplet states, not individual spin states as you keep insisting.

Oh I see now, thanks.

1. What is the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that no two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This means that two electrons in an atom cannot have the same set of quantum numbers, and thus, cannot occupy the same energy level.

2. Why is the Pauli exclusion principle important?

The Pauli exclusion principle is important because it helps to explain many properties of matter, such as the periodic table of elements and the stability of atoms. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electrons in materials, which is essential in fields like chemistry and materials science.

3. How does the Pauli exclusion principle affect electron configurations?

The Pauli exclusion principle dictates that electrons in an atom must occupy different energy levels and have different spin states. This means that the electron configurations of atoms are organized in a specific way, with each energy level containing a maximum of two electrons with opposite spins.

4. Can the Pauli exclusion principle be violated?

No, the Pauli exclusion principle is a fundamental law of nature and cannot be violated. It has been extensively tested and has been found to hold true in all cases. Violating this principle would lead to a breakdown of the fundamental laws of quantum mechanics.

5. How does the Pauli exclusion principle relate to the stability of matter?

The Pauli exclusion principle is essential for the stability of matter because it prevents electrons from collapsing into the nucleus of an atom. If the principle were not in place, all electrons would occupy the lowest energy level, and matter would not exist in its current form.