Clay projectile sticking to wooden block with friction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 7K views
Sheneron
Messages
360
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Conservation of Momentum problem

Homework Statement



A 12.5 g wad of sticky clay is hurled horizontally at a 95 g wooden block initially at rest on a horizontal surface. The clay sticks to the block. After impact, the block slides 7.50 m before coming to rest. If the coefficient of friction between block and surface is 0.650, what was the speed of the clay immediately before impact?



Homework Equations


Ki = Kf + loss
Pi = Pf

The Attempt at a Solution



To solve this problem here is what I did:
Ki = Kf + loss
m1vi = (m1 + m2)vf

Using equation 2, I solved for vf. I then plugged that into the vf in the Kf in equation 1. Using this method, however, I did not get a correct answer. I feel like I am missing something at the beginning. Can someone tell me if this is the proper set up or if I am missing something? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Separate the problem into two parts:
(1) The collision itself. Use your momentum conservation equation here, just like you did.
(2) Post collision. What's the KE of the block+clay immediately after the collision? What's the work done by the friction force?
 
Would my 2 equations not be this:

1) (m1)(Vbefore) = (m1 + m2)(Vafter)

2) .5m1(Vbefore)^2 = .5(m1 + m2)(Vafter)^2 + loss
 
Sheneron said:
1) (m1)(Vbefore) = (m1 + m2)(Vafter)
Yes.

2) .5m1(Vbefore)^2 = .5(m1 + m2)(Vafter)^2 + loss
No.

Instead use: KE(after) = Work done by friction.
 
Ok, that worked.

Im not sure I completely understand why KE(after) = work done by friction.
 
Because the work done on the block+clay equals the change in its KE. After the collision, it starts out with KE(after) and ends up with 0 as it comes to rest.