Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clifford vector valued 1-form and gravity

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1
    I am currently trying to read through Garret Lisi's paper, An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything, and am having trouble understanding what it means for the gravitational fields to be described by a spin connection that is a Clifford bivector valued 1-form \begin{equation} \omega \in so(3,1) = Cl^2(3,1). \end{equation} I understand how the electroweak and strong are described by the special unitary group but I'm not sure what to make of gravity.

Additionally, how exactly does the frame defined by a Clifford vector valued 1-form \begin{equation}e \in Cl^1(3,1)\end{equation} combine with "a multiplet of Higgs scalar fields" in order to give fermions masses.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2011 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't read Garrett's paper in detail, but I can guess what I think he means here. Typically the spin connection is [itex]\mathfrak{so}(3,1)[/itex]-valued and is written

[tex]\omega^a{}_b[/tex]

where {a,b} are tangent space indices. The metric-compatibility condition requires that the spin connection be [itex]\eta[/itex]-antisymmetric; that is

[tex]\eta_{ac} \omega^c{}_b = - \eta_{bc} \omega^c{}_a[/tex]

To get a Clifford-bivector-valued form, just contract with some gamma matrices:

[tex]\eta_{ac} \omega^c{}_b \gamma^a \gamma^b = \eta_{ac} \omega^c{}_b \gamma^{[a} \gamma^{b]} = \eta_{ac} \omega^c{}_b \gamma^{ab}[/tex]

due to antisymmetry. It's the same idea with the frame fields; contract their tangent-space index with a gamma matrix. As for how they describe gravity, one can rewrite the Einstein-Hilbert action in terms of [itex]\{e^a, \omega^a{}_b\}[/itex] as fundamental variables. The result is called the Palatini action.

As for how the frame interacts with the Higgs scalars to give the fermions masses, I can't help you there. However, Garrett Lisi does read this board and tends to show up when people ask about his paper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook