Confused about multipole expansion of vector potential

kelly0303
Hello! I found an expression in this paper (eq. 1) for the multipole expansion of the vector potential. I am not sure I understand what form do the vector spherical harmonics (VSH) have. Also, for example, the usual hyperfine interaction operator is given by ##\frac{\mathbf{\mu}\cdot(\mathbf{r}\times \mathbf{\alpha})}{r^3}##. I am not sure how to get back to this expression using equation 1 (or 2), for k=1. On Wikipedia it seems like VSH are defined as ##Y_{lm}\hat{r}##, while in the reference they mention in the paper it would be ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{J(J+1)}}\mathbf{L}Y_{JM}##, where ##\mathbf{L}## is the orbital angular momentum operator. I tried using both and still didn't get back the original formula. Can someone help me with this? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
For a multipole decomposition of a general vector field you need three kinds of vector-spherical harmonics. Written in standard spherical coordinates they are
$$\vec{\Psi}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi)=r \vec{\nabla} \mathrm{Y}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi),$$
$$\vec{\Phi}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi)=\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla} \mathrm{Y}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi),$$
and
$$\vec{\mathrm{Y}}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi)=\vec{e}_r \text{Y}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi).$$
These are all mutually orthogonal to each other under the scalar product on the unit sphere
$$\langle \vec{V}_1|\vec{V}_2 \rangle=\int_{0}^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \vartheta \int_0^{2 \pi} \mathrm{d} \varphi \sin \vartheta \vec{V}_1^*(\vartheta,\varphi) \cdot \vec{V}_2(\vartheta,\varphi)$$
and normlized according to
$$\langle \vec{\Psi}_{lm}|\vec{\Psi}_{l'm'} \rangle=l(l+1) \delta_{ll'} \delta_{mm'},$$
$$\langle \vec{\Phi}_{lm}|\vec{\Phi}_{l'm'} \rangle=l(l+1) \delta_{ll'} \delta_{mm'},$$
$$\langle \vec{\mathrm{Y}}_{lm}|\vec{\mathrm{Y}}_{l'm'} \rangle=\delta_{ll'} \delta_{mm'}.$$

vanhees71 said:
For a multipole decomposition of a general vector field you need three kinds of vector-spherical harmonics. Written in standard spherical coordinates they are
$$\vec{\Psi}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi)=r \vec{\nabla} \mathrm{Y}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi),$$
$$\vec{\Phi}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi)=\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla} \mathrm{Y}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi),$$
and
$$\vec{\mathrm{Y}}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi)=\vec{e}_r \text{Y}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi).$$
These are all mutually orthogonal to each other under the scalar product on the unit sphere
$$\langle \vec{V}_1|\vec{V}_2 \rangle=\int_{0}^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \vartheta \int_0^{2 \pi} \mathrm{d} \varphi \sin \vartheta \vec{V}_1^*(\vartheta,\varphi) \cdot \vec{V}_2(\vartheta,\varphi)$$
and normlized according to
$$\langle \vec{\Psi}_{lm}|\vec{\Psi}_{l'm'} \rangle=l(l+1) \delta_{ll'} \delta_{mm'},$$
$$\langle \vec{\Phi}_{lm}|\vec{\Phi}_{l'm'} \rangle=l(l+1) \delta_{ll'} \delta_{mm'},$$
$$\langle \vec{\mathrm{Y}}_{lm}|\vec{\mathrm{Y}}_{l'm'} \rangle=\delta_{ll'} \delta_{mm'}.$$
Thank you for the reply. But I am not sure I understand how to use this for the given expression. Is ##C_{k,\mu}^{(0)}(\hat{r})## a linear combination of the 3 terms you mentioned above? Also, what is the ##(0)## standing for?

I hate non-selfcontained papers :-(. Obviously they expect that you have the cited book at hand and look it up. Just laziness! I don't have the book at hand unfortunately.

vanhees71 said:
I hate non-selfcontained papers :-(. Obviously they expect that you have the cited book at hand and look it up. Just laziness! I don't have the book at hand unfortunately.
Ah I see it's not even a universal definition... I found the book here (please let me know if you can't access it). The section is 1.5.2, I would appreciate any insight from you as I am still confused after reading it.

1. What is the multipole expansion of vector potential?

The multipole expansion of vector potential is a mathematical technique used to describe the behavior of the vector potential, which is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism. It involves breaking down the vector potential into a series of terms, each representing a different type of multipole moment.

2. Why is the multipole expansion of vector potential important?

The multipole expansion of vector potential is important because it allows us to approximate the behavior of the vector potential in complex systems. By breaking it down into simpler terms, we can better understand and analyze the behavior of electromagnetic fields in various situations.

3. How is the multipole expansion of vector potential derived?

The multipole expansion of vector potential is derived using a combination of mathematical techniques, such as Taylor series expansions and spherical harmonics. It is based on the fact that the vector potential can be expressed as a sum of multipole moments, each of which has a specific mathematical form.

4. What are some applications of the multipole expansion of vector potential?

The multipole expansion of vector potential has many applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in the study of electromagnetic fields, as well as in the design of antennas and other devices that utilize electromagnetic radiation. It is also used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in electromagnetic fields.

5. Are there any limitations to the multipole expansion of vector potential?

Like any mathematical model, the multipole expansion of vector potential has its limitations. It is most accurate for systems with a small number of charges or current sources, and becomes less accurate as the number of sources increases. Additionally, it is a linear approximation and may not accurately describe the behavior of nonlinear systems.