Climate Change threads are back

In summary, climate change / global warming threads have been unbanned from the Earth forum with new rules in place. Discussions about politics are still not allowed. The moderator for these threads will be DH, who has been recognized for their bravery in taking on this task.
Physics news on Phys.org
Great!

But please note that any discussions about politics of climate change is still strictly forbidden! This is only about the science!

Last edited:
So, what made you change your mind? Have you acquired some additional brainpower to help moderate the topics? From what I gatehered, that was one of the major obstacles to keeping the discussions on track.

Greg Bernhardt said:
After much deliberation we have unbanned climate change / global warming threads from the Earth forum.

Cool! But which [STRIKE]reckless fool[/STRIKE] brave soul [strike]was blackmailed[/strike] volunteered for the [STRIKE]suicide mission[/STRIKE] task of moderating?

Likes Wrichik Basu and Ackbach
That would be me.

We'll see how I fare.

Likes Davy_Crockett and Redbelly98
Nugatory said:
Cool! But which [STRIKE]reckless fool[/STRIKE] brave soul [strike]was blackmailed[/strike] volunteered for the [STRIKE]suicide mission[/STRIKE] task of moderating?

:tongue:

D H said:
That would be me.

We'll see how I fare.
:thumbs:

D H said:
That would be me.

We'll see how I fare.

I hope all PFers, especially the long-timers, recognize and appreciate DH's courage. I know I do!

Kudos, DH :approve:.

What is climate change?

Climate change refers to the long-term changes in Earth's climate, including temperature, precipitation, and weather patterns. These changes are primarily caused by human activities, such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation, which release greenhouse gases into the atmosphere and trap heat.

How does climate change affect the environment?

Climate change has a wide range of impacts on the environment, including rising sea levels, more frequent and severe natural disasters, changes in precipitation patterns, and loss of biodiversity. These effects not only harm ecosystems and wildlife but also have significant consequences for human health and economies.

What evidence supports the existence of climate change?

Scientists use a variety of evidence to support the existence of climate change, including temperature records, ice core data, and satellite observations. They also use models to simulate and predict future climate scenarios, which have been consistently accurate in predicting the Earth's warming trend.

Can we stop or reverse climate change?

While some effects of climate change are already irreversible, such as loss of species and melting glaciers, we still have the opportunity to mitigate its impacts and prevent further damage. This can be achieved by reducing greenhouse gas emissions, transitioning to renewable energy sources, and implementing sustainable practices.

What can individuals do to help combat climate change?

As individuals, we can make a difference by reducing our carbon footprint through actions such as using public transportation, reducing energy consumption, and eating a plant-based diet. We can also support policies and initiatives that address climate change and advocate for change in our communities and governments.