Climbing Mexico's Mountains: A Week-Long Adventure with Russ

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
In summary: Regardless, hope you're enjoying yourself to the max. Next time you go, remember that I'm still flexible enough to fit into a large suitcase. :biggrin:In summary, Russ went on a hike with his boss and another coworker and reached the top of a cross. They found an easier way down, and Russ is looking forward to returning next week. He mentioned that he's been in Mexico for the past week on business, and that he's not sure if anyone has noticed a reduced post rate. He attached a pic of the mountain he climbed.
a turtleneck inset, EH?

Physics news on Phys.org
Danger said:
I have at least 2 of most of my favourites.

Speaking of 2s...now that summer is approaching, I think it's time to design a new bra for me. That heated one was wonderful all winter, but now I could use one with a cooling system, and maybe something that doesn't short out so quickly when it gets wet...some of these rainy days lately have been pretty hair-raising!

:smile:

Edit: How come Evo is never around when an attachment needs approving? Evo! We want to see a sunburnt Russ! :smile: (Psst: Russ, need someone to rub aloe all over your body?)

Last edited:
cronxeh said:
a turtleneck inset, EH?
:smile: Good-un. :biggrin:

cronxeh said:
a turtleneck inset, EH?
Nice catch. It's my own fault; I forgot about the thread cross-overs. :redface:

Moonbear said:
Speaking of 2s...now that summer is approaching, I think it's time to design a new bra for me. That heated one was wonderful all winter, but now I could use one with a cooling system, and maybe something that doesn't short out so quickly when it gets wet...some of these rainy days lately have been pretty hair-raising!
I could adapt the air-conditioning system from my 'Alien' suit. I don't need it any more. (The original body was a modified deep-sea wetsuit, but I've got a new one made out of lightweight reptile-pattern cloth.)
And don't call Evo just now. If she's not here, she's either having trouble with work or getting laid. Either way, best left undisturbed. Besides, I've posted a couple of things that I don't want her to see. (Come to think of it, this is one of them.)

SOS2008 said:
:smile: Good-un. :biggrin:
:-p !

*taps foot* The foot tapping seemed to make Evo magically appear last time. *more foot tapping* EVO! There's an attachment of a less than fully clothed Russ that we want to see! Stop hogging it for yourself! (Hmm, and Russ, when you get the rest of the clothes off, PM me for my private email address. :biggrin:)

Moonbear said:
*taps foot* The foot tapping seemed to make Evo magically appear last time. *more foot tapping* EVO! There's an attachment of a less than fully clothed Russ that we want to see! Stop hogging it for yourself! (Hmm, and Russ, when you get the rest of the clothes off, PM me for my private email address. :biggrin:)

Evo is busy saving the world, so I had to step in for a moment. Now you can all shudder in peace. :biggrin:

hypnagogue said:
Evo is busy saving the world, so I had to step in for a moment. Now you can all shudder in peace. :biggrin:

*hugs hypnagogue* Thanks!

*shudders* I better remember to watch what I wish for in the future. Russ, what the heck were you wearing to acquire that particular sunburn pattern?!? If you need someone to help apply the sunblock, there are plenty of us here willing to offer assistance. :biggrin: Not a bad body for an engineer (though, after seeing DocToxyn's turtle, I think the rest of you guys better start hitting the gym!) :-p

Moonbear said:
Does one require a reason for that? Though, I've also known guys who appear to wear the same shirt several days in a row, but it's actually that they own 3 of the same shirt...they liked the first one they bought (or a woman told them they looked good in that shirt or color), so went back and bought a few more. After a few days, you can usually tell if it's the same shirt by whether you can still breathe while in the same room as the wearer of the shirt.
I once owned 24 identical T-Shirts. My brother-in-law is a policeman and did some moonlighting as security for a conference on the future held by scientists and environmentalists. After the conference, they had extra stuff to dispose of including a couple boxes of T-Shirts. The T-Shirts had some Einstein quote on it (this was a long time ago, so I don't remember the quote anymore). He figured I might like them.

Wearing the "same" T-shirt everyday makes quite an impression, especially if you plan out your wardrobe in advance. Wear a new one day, a broken in one the next, the one that's getting a little frayed the next, the one with the torn sleeve the next, the one with the sleeves completely removed the next, the one with both the sleeves and collar torn off the next, and the one that barely has enough material left to hang on your body the next. :smile:

With all of those T-shirts, I can't believe I've finally forgotten what they said. :frown:

russ_watters said:
Attached: a taste of my hell...
Bloody hell, man! That's got to hurt. Just make sure you keep your legs covered, or Evo will be after you with a dish of melted butter and a fork. :eek:

hypnagogue said:
Evo is busy saving the world
Is that what they call it nowadays...? :-p

BobG said:
I once owned 24 identical T-Shirts. Wear a new one day, a broken in one the next, the one that's getting a little frayed the next, the one with the torn sleeve the next, the one with the sleeves completely removed the next, the one with both the sleeves and collar torn off the next, and the one that barely has enough material left to hang on your body the next. :smile:
They must have looked pretty puzzled when you showed up the next time in a new one. :biggrin:

Danger said:
Is that what they call it nowadays...? :-p

I can't get into details, but it might not be a bad idea to wear a tin foil hat for a couple of days. Also, take pictures and post them. It's for your own safety.

hypnagogue said:
I can't get into details, but it might not be a bad idea to wear a tin foil hat for a couple of days. Also, take pictures and post them. It's for your own safety.

:smile: It will prevent sunburn to the top of the head. Perhaps Russ should have worn an entire tinfoil suit! :smile:

Moonbear said:
:smile: It will prevent sunburn to the top of the head. Perhaps Russ should have worn an entire tinfoil suit! :smile:
Rats! I only have one sunburn-related one, and it's not very good.

http://img143.echo.cx/img143/9674/pf6dg.th.jpg

Danger said:
Rats! I only have one sunburn-related one, and it's not very good.

http://img143.echo.cx/img143/9674/pf6dg.th.jpg
I like the Dr. Suess design of the umbrella for the stand. :biggrin: Let's just hope Russ knows better than to get a sunburn on those other parts of his body. :rolleyes:

SOS2008 said:
I like the Dr. Suess design of the umbrella for the stand. :biggrin: Let's just hope Russ knows better than to get a sunburn on those other parts of his body. :rolleyes:

I sure hope so! He's starting to show us his wild side with these half-clothed photos. Get a little tequila into him and who knows what's next! :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
He's starting to show us his wild side with these half-clothed photos. Get a little tequila into him and who knows what's next! :biggrin:
Well, you're going to have to rely on the photos; there are some things I won't draw.

As requested -- frontal nudity!

I'm back in Mexico, again. They promised things would be ready for us, again. Thay aren't, again. But at least I finally got a chance to sit by the pool with a Pina Colada...

Attachments

• Russ-pina.jpg
    Russ-pina.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 368
Now that's a beautiful photo! Hope you remembered sunblock this time. Wish I was there...wow :smile: I even wish I had that drink

russ_watters said:
I'm back in Mexico, again. They promised things would be ready for us, again. Thay aren't, again. But at least I finally got a chance to sit by the pool with a Pina Colada...
For a moment, I thought you were wearing two pairs of sunglasses, until I realized that's headphones on your head, not sunglasses. :smile: Is this a third trip, or are you still on trip #2? You're looking pretty pink in that picture again...did you remember your sunscreen this time?

hypatia said:
Now that's a beautiful photo! Hope you remembered sunblock this time. Wish I was there...wow :smile: I even wish I had that drink
Let's head over to the Tiki Bar for pina coladas! I could use a drink too, especially after waking up at 6 AM from that dream about man-eating clams! :bugeye:

russ_watters said:
I almost broke a leg trying to get into the picture validator. :redface: Talk about misleading captions...

Very cute though. :!)

hypatia said:
Hope you remembered sunblock this time.
Sun-what?
Is this a third trip, or are you still on trip #2?
Trip 3 - trip 2 lasted all of 3 days for me. It went so badly there was nothing for me to do so no point in staying. My boss stayed another week to clean up a few messes.

Evo said:
I almost broke a leg trying to get into the picture validator.
It's a good thing you're slowing down in your old age. I'd hate to have to shoot you. :-p

Danger said:
I'd hate to have to shoot you. :-p
oh, please, everyone knows you had that gun under the chair for about a week now...

Wow. I'm going to be in Mexico this weekend - suppose to check out some "college/tourist" place in the NW, can't remember the name, something about cliff divers or something...

I'll take photos.

My employer and I are talking about what I'm to expect while in MX; he says robberies, car-jacking, druglords, terrorists taking hostages, etc. I say he's full of it; or should I go 'packing'?

o:)

*edit*
Puerto Peñasco

Last edited:
Arctic Fox said:
My employer and I are talking about what I'm to expect while in MX; he says robberies, car-jacking, druglords, terrorists taking hostages, etc. I say he's full of it; or should I go 'packing'?

o:)
The further south you are, the worse it is, but it never gets that bad in Mexico that you need an armed guard or anything. Chihuahua is pretty nice.

Arctic Fox said:
Nope, that's L.A. :biggrin:

If you stay around the bigger cities your fine. If you make ANY side trips, leave anything of value in the hotel safe.
Being robbed dosen't happen as much as it use to, but still its not uncommon for tourist busses to be stopped by Banditos, who just walk through and take jewlery, money and watches.

In other words, its like L.A, Detroit or New York, don't flash your trash in the wrong area.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of me at sunset outside the plant where I'm working. The moon is in the pic (obviousl) - see if you can find Saturn and Venus...

Attachments

• russ-arrow.jpg
    russ-arrow.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 361
A picture of you after the moon has risen, huh? Should we expect fur and fangs in this one? :smile:

russ_watters said:
see if you can find Saturn and Venus...
Not sure which it is, or even if it is one of those two, but there's something bright just above the left-hand spirally plant looking thing on the patio there. The plant sort of points at it. I thought I saw something else, then realized it was a speck of dust on my monitor. :redface:

Moonbear said:
A picture of you after the moon has risen, huh? Should we expect fur and fangs in this one? :smile:
That is not a full moon... maybe just a werecub?

I can pick up one of them just over the handrail, my guess would be Saturn. I can't find the other. I sure wish it would clear up, I have a telescope sitting in the garage, and Saturn is sinking fast.

Moonbear said:
Not sure which it is, or even if it is one of those two, but there's something bright just above the left-hand spirally plant looking thing on the patio there. The plant sort of points at it.
Yep - that would be Venus. Saturn is a little tougher...

And yeah - that's a waxing crescent - setting.

Still here...

So I'm still here (just under 2 weeks). Things are progressing, but slowly. Today was a particularly worthless day - we spent most of the day in the plant doing nothing, waiting for little controls bugs to be solved. And on Sunday, no less. Ugh. But hey - at least I'm getting paid for playing Spider Solitaire and surfing the net...

Last week I got sick - a bad stomach flu (probably not Monty's Revenge). It started Sunday and I tough'd it out that afternoon, then spent all day Monday in bed. There is little worse than being super-sick 2000 miles from home. Miserable. And if that isn't bad eough, on Wednesday we had a little breakthrough - a system finally ready for us - and decided to prove our worth by pulling an all-nighter testing it Wednesday night. And I hadn't had much of anything to eat in 3 days. But hey - at least I was well rested going in...

This is a nice city and I've finally gotten a chance to hang with the locals, but still, I've had about enough. I'm looking forward to getting home: English, golf, bed, tv, cats, girl - though not necessarily in that order...

I bet when you come back home,you miss where you're now!

Lisa! said:
I bet when you come back home,you miss where you're now!
[worst British accent ever] Not bloody likely! [/worst British accent ever]