Climbing Mexico's Mountains: A Week-Long Adventure with Russ
- Thread starter russ_watters
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
79 replies · 8K views
Physics news on Phys.org
hypatia
- 1,192
- 10
If you stay around the bigger cities your fine. If you make ANY side trips, leave anything of value in the hotel safe.
Being robbed doesn't happen as much as it use to, but still its not uncommon for tourist busses to be stopped by Banditos, who just walk through and take jewlery, money and watches.
In other words, its like L.A, Detroit or New York, don't flash your trash in the wrong area.
Being robbed doesn't happen as much as it use to, but still its not uncommon for tourist busses to be stopped by Banditos, who just walk through and take jewlery, money and watches.
In other words, its like L.A, Detroit or New York, don't flash your trash in the wrong area.
Last edited:
Mentor
- 23,902
- 11,357
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
Not sure which it is, or even if it is one of those two, but there's something bright just above the left-hand spirally plant looking thing on the patio there. The plant sort of points at it. I thought I saw something else, then realized it was a speck of dust on my monitor.russ_watters said:see if you can find Saturn and Venus...

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 7,232
- 66
That is not a full moon... maybe just a werecub?Moonbear said:A picture of you after the moon has risen, huh? Should we expect fur and fangs in this one?![]()
I can pick up one of them just over the handrail, my guess would be Saturn. I can't find the other. I sure wish it would clear up, I have a telescope sitting in the garage, and Saturn is sinking fast.
Mentor
- 23,902
- 11,357
Yep - that would be Venus. Saturn is a little tougher...Moonbear said:Not sure which it is, or even if it is one of those two, but there's something bright just above the left-hand spirally plant looking thing on the patio there. The plant sort of points at it.
And yeah - that's a waxing crescent - setting.
Mentor
- 23,902
- 11,357
Still here...
So I'm still here (just under 2 weeks). Things are progressing, but slowly. Today was a particularly worthless day - we spent most of the day in the plant doing nothing, waiting for little controls bugs to be solved. And on Sunday, no less. Ugh. But hey - at least I'm getting paid for playing Spider Solitaire and surfing the net...
Last week I got sick - a bad stomach flu (probably not Monty's Revenge). It started Sunday and I tough'd it out that afternoon, then spent all day Monday in bed. There is little worse than being super-sick 2000 miles from home. Miserable. And if that isn't bad eough, on Wednesday we had a little breakthrough - a system finally ready for us - and decided to prove our worth by pulling an all-nighter testing it Wednesday night. And I hadn't had much of anything to eat in 3 days. But hey - at least I was well rested going in...
This is a nice city and I've finally gotten a chance to hang with the locals, but still, I've had about enough. I'm looking forward to getting home: English, golf, bed, tv, cats, girl - though not necessarily in that order...
So I'm still here (just under 2 weeks). Things are progressing, but slowly. Today was a particularly worthless day - we spent most of the day in the plant doing nothing, waiting for little controls bugs to be solved. And on Sunday, no less. Ugh. But hey - at least I'm getting paid for playing Spider Solitaire and surfing the net...
Last week I got sick - a bad stomach flu (probably not Monty's Revenge). It started Sunday and I tough'd it out that afternoon, then spent all day Monday in bed. There is little worse than being super-sick 2000 miles from home. Miserable. And if that isn't bad eough, on Wednesday we had a little breakthrough - a system finally ready for us - and decided to prove our worth by pulling an all-nighter testing it Wednesday night. And I hadn't had much of anything to eat in 3 days. But hey - at least I was well rested going in...
This is a nice city and I've finally gotten a chance to hang with the locals, but still, I've had about enough. I'm looking forward to getting home: English, golf, bed, tv, cats, girl - though not necessarily in that order...
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
I bet when you come back home,you miss where you're now!
Mentor
- 23,902
- 11,357
[worst British accent ever] Not bloody likely! [/worst British accent ever]Lisa! said:I bet when you come back home,you miss where you're now!
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
I thought Mexico is a wonderful place!
Arctic Fox
- 176
- 0
I've been in Nogales a few times and thought it was great.
I just got back from 'Rocky Point' and that was the worst place I have ever been to in my entire life!
I just got back from 'Rocky Point' and that was the worst place I have ever been to in my entire life!
Mentor
- 23,902
- 11,357
The problem isn't with Mexico, its with the work and with being away from home.Lisa! said:I thought Mexico is a wonderful place!
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
I myself can't stand being away from home for more than a week but as soos as I get home ,I feel bad for some days.
anyway,your situation is different because you're working there!
Good luck
anyway,your situation is different because you're working there!
Good luck
Mentor
- 23,902
- 11,357
Look what I did tonight...
Tonight I found a problem with a damper in a duct and had to crawl inside the duct to adjust the range of motion on the linkages. It was actually kinda fun...but I still want to go home. I have a plane ticket for Friday, but at the moment it looks like I won't be using it.
Tonight I found a problem with a damper in a duct and had to crawl inside the duct to adjust the range of motion on the linkages. It was actually kinda fun...but I still want to go home. I have a plane ticket for Friday, but at the moment it looks like I won't be using it.
Attachments
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
It's still pending.ah I can't wait!
Mentor
- 23,902
- 11,357
I'm home! My apartment, my bed, my car, my golf clubs, my cats, my telescope, my girls, my...beer!
But I still might be going back...
But I still might be going back...
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
russ_watters said:I'm home! My apartment, my bed, my car, my golf clubs, my cats, my telescope, my girls, my...beer!
But I still might be going back...
Girls? Plural? No wonder you couldn't wait to get back!
Doesn't home feel so much more wonderful when you've been away that long? When I used to have to travel more often, I got like that. I just wanted to spend a whole month without traveling, without living out of a suitcase, with all the amenities of home, being able to cook for myself and enjoy a bath without wondering how well it had been cleaned (or not), sleeping in my own bed that wasn't lumpy or too soft or too hard or not enough blankets, etc.
Oh, and now that the attachment is approved, what do you think you are, a surgeon? Cute hat.
Last edited:
Mentor
- 23,902
- 11,357
I was wondering if anyone would notice that...Moonbear said:Girls? Plural? No wonder you couldn't wait to get back!![]()
Leave it to you to critique my clothing - I was more interested in the fact that I was in an a/c duct 14 feet off the floor.Oh, and now that the attachment is approved, what do you think you are, a surgeon? Cute hat.![]()
(I really hate those bouffant caps, and since I have long hair, that's the kind I'm stuck wearing when I do surgeries because the cool looking ones don't have enough room to tuck in my hair...I'm thinking of sewing my own though, something more like a chef's hat so there's room to tuck my hair in the top, but I don't have to wear those lame poofy disposable things). I'll get some goofy fabrics, like what the pediatrics nurses have for their scrub tops; maybe I can find one with a sheep print. Then at least people can laugh at me and my surgeon's cap for good reason!
![]()
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
russ_watters said:Leave it to you to critique my clothing - I was more interested in the fact that I was in an a/c duct 14 feet off the floor.