Closed, collapsing universe+only photons at first -> matter when hot?

In summary, a closed, collapsing universe with a uniform thermal distribution of low energy photons, such as that of the CMB, and no other matter will experience an increase in temperature as time goes on. By varying initial conditions, the time for collapse can be changed. As the average energy per photon increases, it is expected that some of the energy will be divided among all the fields of the standard model, potentially causing an asymmetry between matter and antimatter. At energies well above any mass of the standard model, it is argued that all fields should share energy equally, but the timescale for this to occur may vary. It is unclear if a collapsing universe will undergo the inverse of inflation in its last moments. Additionally, according to high energy
Spinnor
Gold Member
Closed, collapsing universe+only photons at first --> matter when hot?

Suppose we had closed, collapsing universe with a uniform thermal distribution of low energy photons like that of the CMB and no other matter (I suppose we must pick the initial conditions right for collapse to occur) . As time goes by the temperature of the radiation increases?

By varying initial conditions can we vary the time T for collapse?

I assume things heat up, when the average energy per photon is greater then any mass in the standard model can we expect some fraction of energy initially in the photons will now be divided among all the fields of the standard model (with some possible asymmetry between matter and antimatter via the Standard Model)?

At energies well above any mass of the standard model can one argue that all the fields should share energy roughly equally? Would we have enough time for energy to become completely divided between all the fields of the standard model?

Finally, does this collapsing universe in some last moments undergo the inverse of inflation?

Thanks for any help!

Space news on Phys.org
Spinnor said:
Suppose we had closed, collapsing universe with a uniform thermal distribution of low energy photons like that of the CMB and no other matter (I suppose we must pick the initial conditions right for collapse to occur) . As time goes by the temperature of the radiation increases?
Yes.

By varying initial conditions can we vary the time T for collapse?
You did not even specify a starting time to measure some T, so... yes.

I assume things heat up, when the average energy per photon is greater then any mass in the standard model can we expect some fraction of energy initially in the photons will now be divided among all the fields of the standard model (with some possible asymmetry between matter and antimatter via the Standard Model)?
Yes.

At energies well above any mass of the standard model can one argue that all the fields should share energy roughly equally? Would we have enough time for energy to become completely divided between all the fields of the standard model?
I guess that depends on the way you count fields, and on the timescale of the collapse.

Finally, does this collapsing universe in some last moments undergo the inverse of inflation?
Without a clear, single theory of inflation, how could we tell?

One thing I would add. According to high energy particle physics. As a particle reaches the same energy level as an other particle the two become indistinquishable from one another. This forms the basis of GUT. For example at high enough temperatutes you can no longer tell a neutrino form a photon or electron. By any means or other properties that particles have such as spin and momentum. Essentially they all become photons. As this includes bosons the forces also become indistinquishable. Leaving the electro-weak force ( strong, weak and electromagnetic forces united) and gravity. Their has been no sucesses in uniting gravity to the electroweak force.

I recommend buying a copy of Griffiths high energy particle physics textbook to better understand the the above. He covers the topic in an easy to inderstand manner

Thanks to you both! Interesting.

Lol working from my phone so there is several spelling errors in my previous post.

If you plan on trying to google early universe articles that describe GUT. You will find numerous misleading articles. Seldom will any two articles agree with each other. Hence my recommendation in buying Griffiths textbook. Some of the articles do have a semi decent graphical representation of GUT. However the times that the various particles and forces freeze out (becomes distinquishable) will vary depending on what the author feels is correct. Ie supersymmetry vs symmetry for example. Most of the particles predicted by supersymmetry have yet to be found. The only exception that I am aware of is the Higgs boson. However the exact number of Goldstone bosons is still in question. As far as I know there is a possible 12 goldstones. However I've yet to read any two articles on the higgs that agree on the number.

Mordred said:
One thing I would add. According to high energy particle physics. As a particle reaches the same energy level as an other particle the two become indistinquishable from one another. This forms the basis of GUT. For example at high enough temperatutes you can no longer tell a neutrino form a photon or electron.
Please give a source for that claim.
By any means or other properties that particles have such as spin and momentum.
And charge, lepton numbers, and various other quantum numbers.

Most of the particles predicted by supersymmetry have yet to be found.
Actually, all.
A single Higgs boson (=what the LHC found so far) has nothing to do with supersymmetry, and supersymmetry leads to more Higgs particles (usually 5, that's the number I see all the time) - no additional particles have been found so far.

I can't locate that line for a reference though I have seen similar statements in older early universe thermodynamics articles.

Most likely its a poorly worded descriptive of the thermodynamic equilibrium state.

This article probably describes the eqilibrium state better

http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Sept03/Trodden/Trodden4_2.html

if I can locate the other descriptive I will happily post it. Pretty sure it was in one of my various textbooks. However they are all cutrently packed as I am in the middle of moving. New job lol so working from my phone atm

1. What is a closed, collapsing universe?

A closed, collapsing universe is a theoretical model of the universe in which the expansion of the universe eventually stops and begins to collapse back in on itself due to the force of gravity. This model is based on the idea that the total mass and energy of the universe are enough to eventually halt the expansion and cause it to reverse.

2. How does a closed, collapsing universe differ from other models of the universe?

A closed, collapsing universe differs from other models such as the open or flat universe because it suggests that the universe will eventually contract rather than continue to expand forever. This model also predicts that the universe will have a finite lifespan and eventually end in a "Big Crunch".

3. What does it mean for a universe to have only photons at first?

In the early stages of a closed, collapsing universe, the only particles present would be photons, which are particles of light. This is because the extremely high temperatures and densities in the early universe would not allow for the formation of any other particles. As the universe cooled, these photons would eventually interact and form other particles such as protons and neutrons.

4. How does matter form in a closed, collapsing universe with only photons at first?

The formation of matter in a closed, collapsing universe with only photons at first is a gradual process. As the universe cools, the photons begin to interact and form particles such as protons and neutrons. These particles then combine to form atoms, which make up the building blocks of matter. Over time, these atoms clump together to form larger structures such as stars and galaxies.

5. Is there any evidence to support the idea of a closed, collapsing universe?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence to support the idea of a closed, collapsing universe. While this model is based on mathematical calculations and theories, it has not been confirmed through observational data. However, further research and advancements in technology may provide more insight into the potential fate of our universe.