1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed form expression for this?

1. Apr 10, 2012 #1
    Say we have NA blue balls and NB red balls mixed together in an urn. When we pick a ball it leaves the urn. I want to find the probability of picking n red balls in a row.
    The probability of picking a red ball is:
    NA/(NA+NB)
    But each time a red ball leaves the urn the probability of picking the next will be:
    (NA-1)/(NA+NB-1)
    So in general for n successive red ball picks the probability must be:

p(n) = ∏i=0n(NA-1)/(NA+NB-i)

First of all I want to ask if this is correctly deduced. Secondly, I want to know if you can evaluate a product like the above in a closed form.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll change to a nicer notation: we start with N balls altogether, R red and B blue, with R+B=N. If you draw n <= R balls, what is the probability all n are red? Note: this is very different from asking that if we pick all balls, one at a time, we ever get n red balls in a row; that would be a much harder problem.

As you said, the answer is
    [tex] p(n) = \frac{R}{N} \frac{R-1}{N-1} \cdots \frac{R-n+1}{N-n+1}.[/tex]
    This can be written in terms of factorials and binomial coefficients (if you think that is nicer and fits your definition of "closed form"):
    [tex] p(n) = \frac{R!}{(R-n)!} \frac{(N-n)!}{N!}= \frac{C(R,n)}{C(N,n)},[/tex]
    where [tex] C(a,b) = \frac{a!}{b!(a-b)!}[/tex] is the binomial coefficient.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook