1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiplication rule for conditional probabilities

1. Sep 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Selecting Two Balls. Suppose that two balls are to be selected at random, without replacement, from a box containing r red balls and b blue balls. We shall determine the probability p that the first ball will be red and the second ball will be blue

I am confusing Pr(A|B) and Pr(A∩B). In some cases they might look the same to me, so how can I recognize the difference between them.

2. Relevant equations

Pr(A∩B)=Pr(A) Pr(B|A)
    Pr(A∩B)=Pr(B) Pr(A|B).

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is an example from the book, so the solution is already there.
    Let A be the event that the first ball is red,and let B be the event that the second ball is blue. Obviously
    , Pr(A)=r/(r +b)

Furthermore, if the event A has occurred, then one red ball has been removed from the box on the first draw. Therefore, the probability of obtaining a blue ball on the second draw will be

Pr(B|A)= b/( r +b−1)

It follows that
    Pr(A∩B)= r/( r +b)* (b/( r +b−1))

So the line " Furthermore, if the event A has occurred, then one red ball has been removed from the box on the first draw. Therefore, the probability of obtaining a blue ball on the second draw will be " looks the same to me as Pr(AnB) because the two events have to have occurred.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you are confused: the joint probability ##P(A \cap B)## is the probability that BOTH ##A## AND ##B## will occur. The conditional probability ##P(B|A)## is the probability that ##B## will occur, GIVEN THAT ##A## is known to have occurred already.

One of these refers to a probability of ##B## only (of course, in the new "sample space" ##A##!); the other refers to both occurring.

4. Sep 12, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If you are still confused, it may help to consider A=B. P(B|B)=1, but ##P(B \cap B)=P(B)##.

5. Sep 12, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To expand on my initial answer, suppose r = b = 5, and A is an event which talks about what happened in the first 9 draws, while B = {last ball is blue}. What might be surprising is that P(B) = 1/2 (if you are told nothing at all about what happened in the first 9 draws---only that 9 balls have already been drawn and one is left in the urn). [More on this later.]

Clearly, for some A we have P(B|A) = 0 (because there are no blue balls left), while for other A we have P(B|A) = 1 (because there is only a blue ball left). However, if A and B are not incompatible, then ##0 < P(A \cap B) < 1##; this will be the case for any A such that ##A \cap B \neq \emptyset##.

Why ##P(B) = 1/2##? Number the balls from 1--10, and say balls 1--5 are blue. Look at all 10! permutations of the numbers 1--10, and look at those that have numbers 1--5 last. Exactly half of the permutations have that property, so ##P(B) = (1/2) 10! / 10! = 1/2##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted