Closed form for (in)finite sums

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of the perennial sum \sum_{k=1}^{n}k^p and its closed form for p \ge 0 using Faulhaber's formula. There is also mention of zeta function regularization and the significance and existence of these sums. Moving on to p < 0, the limit as n \rightarrow \infty is known for even p, but it is unclear if there is a Faulhaber equivalent for this case. The conversation also touches on the possibility of finding infinite series for odd p. Finally, the comparison with a constant p and changing k is discussed, but it is noted that a formula as complete as \sum_{p=1}^{n}k
henpen
I have a set of questions concerning the perennial sum
[tex]\large \sum_{k=1}^{n}k^p[/tex]
and its properties.

1. For [itex]p \ge 0[/itex], the closed form of this is known (via Faulhaber's formula).
I know little about divergent series, but I've read that in some sense there exists a value associated with these sums as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex]: for instance [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\sum_{k=1}^{n}k = \frac{-1}{12}[/itex] (here)? I think this is called zeta function regularisation.

a. What is the significance of such sums? Are they useful realistic compatable-with-rest-of-mathematics, or wholly artificial? What evidence is there of these pseudosums' existence?

b. What are they for [itex]p \ge -1[/itex] (hoping that the Harmonic series, [itex]p = -1[/itex], has such a 'pseudo-sum')?2. Moving on to [itex]p < 0[/itex]. For even [itex]p[/itex] the limit as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex] infinity is known (Euler).

a. Is there a Faulhaber equivalent in this case (a closed form of the sum up to [itex]n[/itex] for either even or integer [itex]n[/itex])?

b. Are the odd [itex]p [/itex]'s infinite series likely to be found?For comparison, with constant [itex]k [/itex] and changing [itex]p [/itex]:
[tex]\large \sum_{p=1}^{n}k^p= \frac{1-k^{p+1}}{1-k}[/tex]
I would love if for constant [itex]p [/itex] and changing [itex]k [/itex] was a formula as complete as this.

Thank you for volunteering to suffer my question.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The problem why this can't be is a dimensional one. If we have a constant ##p## and changing ##k## as in ##\sum_{k=1}^n k^p## we basically add different dimensions:
##p=1## is adding lengths
##p=2## is adding areas
##p=3## is adding volumes
etc.
So there cannot be one formula fits all, because the procedure is so different, and with increasing dimension ##p## the additional amount of each term is less and less relevant compared to the partial sum so far.

What is a closed form for an infinite sum?

A closed form for an infinite sum is a mathematical expression that gives the exact value of the sum without having to add up all the individual terms. It is a way of representing an infinite sum in a finite and concise form.

Why is finding a closed form for an infinite sum important?

Finding a closed form for an infinite sum is important because it allows us to quickly and accurately calculate the sum without having to add up an infinite number of terms. It also allows us to study the properties and behavior of infinite sums more easily.

What are some common methods used to find a closed form for an infinite sum?

Some common methods used to find a closed form for an infinite sum include telescoping, geometric series, and power series. These methods involve manipulating the terms of the sum in a specific way to simplify the expression and find a closed form.

Are there any infinite sums that do not have a closed form?

Yes, there are many infinite sums that do not have a closed form. These are often referred to as divergent sums and cannot be evaluated using traditional methods. Some examples include the harmonic series and the alternating harmonic series.

How can finding a closed form for an infinite sum be applied in real-world situations?

Finding a closed form for an infinite sum can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It can be used to calculate the total distance traveled by an object, the total cost of an investment, or the total energy in a system. It can also be used to analyze the convergence or divergence of a series, which is important in many scientific and mathematical applications.