1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed form for (in)finite sums

1. Apr 17, 2013 #1
    I have a set of questions concerning the perennial sum
    [tex]\large \sum_{k=1}^{n}k^p[/tex]
    and its properties.

1. For [itex]p \ge 0[/itex], the closed form of this is known (via Faulhaber's formula).
    I know little about divergent series, but I've read that in some sense there exists a value associated with these sums as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex]: for instance [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\sum_{k=1}^{n}k = \frac{-1}{12}[/itex] (here)? I think this is called zeta function regularisation.

a. What is the significance of such sums? Are they useful realistic compatable-with-rest-of-mathematics, or wholly artificial? What evidence is there of these pseudosums' existence?

b. What are they for [itex]p \ge -1[/itex] (hoping that the Harmonic series, [itex]p = -1[/itex], has such a 'pseudo-sum')?

2. Moving on to [itex]p < 0[/itex]. For even [itex]p[/itex] the limit as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex] infinity is known (Euler).

a. Is there a Faulhaber equivalent in this case (a closed form of the sum up to [itex]n[/itex] for either even or integer [itex]n[/itex])?

b. Are the odd [itex]p [/itex]'s infinite series likely to be found?

For comparison, with constant [itex]k [/itex] and changing [itex]p [/itex]:
    [tex]\large \sum_{p=1}^{n}k^p= \frac{1-k^{p+1}}{1-k}[/tex]
    I would love if for constant [itex]p [/itex] and changing [itex]k [/itex] was a formula as complete as this.

Thank you for volunteering to suffer my question.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted