1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closest line from a point to a curve in R^2

1. Jan 19, 2016 #1

RBG

Given a parametrized curve ##X(t):I\to\mathbb{R}^2## I am trying to show given a fixed point ##p##, and the closest point on ##X## to ##p##, ##X(t_0)##, the line between the point and the curve is perpendicular to the curve. My only idea so far is to show that ##(p-X(t))\cdot(\frac{X'(t)}{||X'(t)||})=0##. But in general, I don't see why this would be true? It seems clear geometrically, but obviously that's not an argument. Any hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Use the definition of "perpendicular".

4. Jan 19, 2016 #3

RBG

Isn't that the dot product is zero? That or that the slopes of the tangent lines are inverse reciprocals of one another. But I don't see how the latter definition can be applied...

5. Jan 19, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Dot products of what?
    How can a line be perpendicular to a curve?

6. Jan 19, 2016 #5

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I take it that you assume the curve is smooth. Even then, note that the closest point may not be unique. Also, when ##I## is not compact, a closest point is not guaranteed to exist, as ##t \mapsto \|p - X(t)\|## need not assume its infimum over ##I## then.

7. Jan 19, 2016 #6

RBG

Dot product of the tangent vector, right? So above ##(p-X(t_0))## is the vector between point and curve and ##X'(t_0)## is the tangent vector. But I don't see why should ##p\dot X'(t_0)-X(t_0)X'(t_0)=0##

8. Jan 19, 2016 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... given a point on the curve, how would you tell that it is the closest point?
    Given the curve C and a point P, how would you usually go about finding the closest point on C to P?

9. Jan 19, 2016 #8

RBG

We are assuming ##X(t)## is a regular parametrized curve and ##t_0## is not an endpoint of ##I##.

10. Jan 19, 2016 #9

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... why not just work through the expression that arises from the definition you just used?

11. Jan 19, 2016 #10

RBG

You would take the derivative of ##||p-X(t)||## and minimize it. Then check which points are minimal, right?

12. Jan 19, 2016 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is how I would do it, but I would make the problem easier by minimizing ##|| p - X(t)||^2 ## instead of ##||p - X(t)||##. These problems are equivalent, in the sense that their ##t##-solutions are the same.

13. Jan 19, 2016 #12

RBG

I really don't understand what you mean by this. I should use the fact that I am minimizing ##|p-X(t)||## somehow to reduce the dot product?

14. Jan 19, 2016 #13

RBG

OOOOOOHHHHH... duh. Nevermind. Right... Thanks! Just do the calculation of taking the derivative

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted