Find Coordinates of Closest Point on y=sqrt(x) to (4,0)

  • Thread starter Thread starter squenshl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Coordinate
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
squenshl
Messages
468
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


Find the coordinates of the point ##P(x,y)## on the curve ##y = \sqrt{x}## that is closest to the point ##(4,0)##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


The derivative is ##y'(x) = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}##. Do I then find the tangent line to ##y = \sqrt{x}##. A little help would be great!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
squenshl said:
Do I then find the tangent line
Do you want a tangent that passes through the specified point or ... some other line?
 
squenshl said:

Homework Statement


Find the coordinates of the point ##P(x,y)## on the curve ##y = \sqrt{x}## that is closest to the point ##(4,0)##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


The derivative is ##y'(x) = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}##. Do I then find the tangent line to ##y = \sqrt{x}##. A little help would be great!
You want to minimize the distance between ##(x, \sqrt x)## and (4, 0).