Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Closure of a countable subset of the reals

1. Aug 20, 2010 #1

radou

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A = {ln(1 + q^2) : q is rational}. One needs to find Cl(A) in R with its euclidean topology.

3. The attempt at a solution

So, the set A is a countable subset of [0, +∞>. The closure is, by definition, the intersection of all closed sets containing A. So, Cl(A) would be [0, +∞> itself , right?

I'm just curious about my solution, thanks in advance.

By the way, another way to look at it would be the fact that A is dense in [0, +∞> (since every open interval in [0, +∞> intersects A), so Cl(A) = [0, +∞>. I'm not really sure about this, although it seems quite obvious. Can we, for every <a, b> in [0, +∞>, find some rational q such that ln(1 + q^2) is contained in <a, b>?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2010 #2
    As the rationals are dense in R, the closure will be the range of f(x) =ln(1 + x^2) i.e.,
    [0, +∞).

4. Aug 21, 2010 #3

radou

Homework Helper

OK, thanks. But I was not sure about that, since the values of f are not rational in general.

5. Aug 21, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Yes, that's why the range is all real numbers larger than or equal to 0 and not just rational numbers.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook