CM Physics M.Sc. in Canada: Next step?

In summary, a PhD in physics is a minimum requirement for research positions in CM, but a Masters in another field may be more employable.
c43apb
My job search is going poorly and I am considering returning to school to do a Ph.D.. I have an M.Sc. in condensed matter (CM) physics and a B.Sc. with a focus on soft matter physics. I am hoping to enter industry in an R&D setting, but as I live in Canada my opportunities to do R&D in CM are limited. I've been told that having an M.Sc. makes you over qualified for B.Sc. positions and under qualified for Ph.D. positions.

Do I need a Ph.D. to have a shot at research positions?

Will I find myself in the similar position when I graduate?

Given the limited research opportunities in Canada is it worth doing a Ph.D in physics and pursuing research positions, or should I start a graduate program in either engineering, computer science, geophysics, or petrophysics (all of which I find interesting and more employable)?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, if you want a shot at working in a research setting in physics (condensed matter specifically for you), then yes, a PhD is a minimum requirement.

That being said, my question to you is whether you are dead-set on staying in Canada or are willing to move to find a position -- and not just to the US (a common place for Canadian graduates to migrate to) but anywhere in the world, including places like China, India, Singapore, Japan, UK, Australia, continental Europe, Brazil, etc. If you are willing to relocate as I described above, then there should be more opportunities open for you in physics research in general (CM in particular), although as others have pointed out, opportunities for physics research (whether academic or industrial) are limited everywhere. I can attest that research opportunities in basic science in general are very limited in Canada.

If your thoughts are on staying in Canada, I would recommend considering pursuing a Masters in the other fields you had mentioned, which are indeed more employable (I'm not sure how employable geophysics is outside of the oil & gas industries in Alberta or in places like the Northwest Territories, Yukon or Nunavut).

Last edited:
c43apb said:
I've been told that having an M.Sc. makes you over qualified for B.Sc. positions and under qualified for Ph.D. positions.

I don't know how it is in Canada, but a quick job search in the US will reveal industrial physics and government research jobs expect a masters in physics or cognate fields like optics or materials science, unless you can make up for that with many years of technical experience in that specific field.

A phd will open some doors and close others. A masters in a different field will open different doors and close others. Eventually you must specialize in something.

Thanks for the responses.
StatGuy2000: I am looking at working in Newfoundland in particular where there is a lot of oil and gas activity, so I think that geophysics should be a good direction.

I understand your frustration and concerns about your job search and career prospects in the field of condensed matter physics in Canada. It is true that the job market for research positions in this area may be limited, and having only an M.Sc. may make it challenging to find suitable positions in both industry and academia. However, I believe there are still opportunities for you to pursue a successful career in CM physics with your current qualifications.

Firstly, I would recommend networking and reaching out to professionals in the field to gain a better understanding of the job market and potential opportunities. This can also help you to identify any skills or knowledge gaps that you may need to address in order to make yourself a more competitive candidate.

In terms of pursuing a Ph.D., it is not necessary to have one in order to have a shot at research positions. Many companies and organizations value experience and practical skills just as much as academic qualifications. Therefore, I would suggest gaining as much hands-on experience through internships or research projects during your M.Sc. program to make yourself a more well-rounded candidate for research positions.

That being said, a Ph.D. can certainly open up more opportunities for research positions, especially in academia or specialized industries. However, it is important to carefully consider your interests and career goals before committing to a Ph.D. program. If you are more interested in other fields such as engineering, computer science, geophysics, or petrophysics, it may be worth exploring those options instead of pursuing a Ph.D. in CM physics solely for the sake of job opportunities.

Ultimately, the decision to pursue a Ph.D. or another graduate program should be based on your personal interests and career goals. It is important to weigh the pros and cons and consider the potential opportunities and challenges in each field before making a decision.

In conclusion, while having a Ph.D. may increase your chances of securing research positions in CM physics, it is not the only path to a successful career. I would encourage you to continue exploring your options, networking, and gaining practical experience to make yourself a competitive candidate in the job market. Best of luck in your career pursuits!

1. What is the duration of the CM Physics M.Sc. program in Canada?

The CM Physics M.Sc. program in Canada typically takes 2 years to complete, although some universities may offer an accelerated 1-year program.

2. What are the admission requirements for the CM Physics M.Sc. program in Canada?

The admission requirements may vary between universities, but generally applicants are expected to have a bachelor's degree in a related field such as physics, mathematics, or engineering. They may also be required to have a certain GPA, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

3. Are there any specific research areas or specializations offered in the CM Physics M.Sc. program?

Yes, most universities offer a range of research areas and specializations for students to choose from. These may include condensed matter physics, high energy physics, astrophysics, quantum computing, and more. It is important to research the specific offerings of each university before applying.

4. Can international students apply for the CM Physics M.Sc. program in Canada?

Yes, international students are welcome to apply for the CM Physics M.Sc. program in Canada. However, they may be required to meet additional requirements such as English language proficiency tests and obtaining a study permit.

5. What is the job outlook for graduates of the CM Physics M.Sc. program in Canada?

Graduates of the CM Physics M.Sc. program have a wide range of career opportunities, including research positions in academia, government laboratories, and industry. They may also choose to pursue further education, such as a PhD, or work in fields such as data science, engineering, and finance.