Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CNN is a reliable and neutral source?

1. Dec 27, 2005 #1
    Do you think that CNN is a reliable and neutral source? Is their covering balanced and independent? Can they be trusted?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is no such thing as a neutral and totally reliable source. CNN is as reliable as any other new organization. One feature they have that puts them head and shoulders above the competition is their coverage of science and technology which either doesn't exist or is virtually lacking in their competitors' broadcasts.
  4. Dec 28, 2005 #3
    Well... In my opinion, CNN is much more balanced than the "Fair and Balanced" Network.

I think the Fox Slogan is short for "We give a FAIR Right Wing assessment, AND our anchors are mentally BALANCED"
  5. Dec 28, 2005 #4
    Well on Fox, they do not air science because it is full of "just theories" not "facts", and movie stars provide a much better escape than boring science.
  6. Dec 28, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that is a definite shortcoming of FNC.
  7. Dec 28, 2005 #6
    i don't think we should talk about cnn but of his mother company wich is AOL-

Time Warner
    Time Warner Corporate Timeline

TIME-WARNER TBS - AOL donated 1.6 million to GW's 2000 campaign

CNN, Fox tout ABC/Post poll showing increase in Bush approval ratings, ignore own polls showing no improvement or a decrease

CNN Says Focus on Civilian Casualties Would Be "Perverse"

Early this month, new CNN chairman Walter Isaacson met with top Republican lawmakers in Washington, D.C. to discuss how to improve relations between the cable news network and conservative Republicans.

"Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one."

The Mass Media & Politics: An Analysis of Influence
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  8. Dec 28, 2005 #7
    How much to Al Gore?

Recall, they were trying to merge TW and AOL at the time and certainly did not want to alienate either potential leader.
  9. Dec 28, 2005 #8
    Anyway, that shows they are not impartial, non partisan, and objective..
  10. Dec 28, 2005 #9
  11. Dec 28, 2005 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you happen to notice "BUSH:" before the quotes? Apparently neither prisonplanet.com nor you believe the President would ever say anything supportive of his own nominee. :rofl:
  12. Dec 28, 2005 #11
    So what is a good source?
  13. Dec 28, 2005 #12
  14. Dec 28, 2005 #13
    i know. i know, but it's kind of tricky and funny. that is why i put the :rofl: :rofl:

Anyway, delete it if you want, i dont want to trash te thread...
  15. Dec 28, 2005 #14
    Well.. I do not watch Cable news.. I use the Internet to gather my information... I have more access to in-depth reporting, both opinions, and discussion, allowing me to formulate an opinion...

I also listen to Al Franken and Randi Rhoads, and The Majority Report because they CITE their information and use news reports not editorials when establishing facts in a situation. (Al is my high Brow, Randi is my Medium Brow and TMR is a nice mix of medium to low brow (depending on Sam's mood)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?