Co-norm of an invertible linear transformation on R^n

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ianchenmu
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


[itex]|\;|[/itex] is a norm on [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex].
Define the co-norm of the linear transformation [itex]T : \mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] to be
[itex]m(T)=inf\left \{ |T(x)| \;\;\;\; s.t.\;|x|=1 \right \}[/itex]
Prove that if [itex]T[/itex] is invertible with inverse [itex]S[/itex] then [itex]m(T)=\frac{1}{||S||}[/itex].


Homework Equations


n/a


The Attempt at a Solution


I think probably we need to do something with the norm, but I still can't get it... So thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Equalities of the form inf X = A are often proved by showing that the two inequalities inf X ≤ A and inf X ≥ A both hold. Together they imply equality of course. One of these proofs will typically use that inf X a lower bound of X (consider an arbitrary member of X), and the other will typically use that inf is the greatest lower bound of the set.

How is ##\|S\|## defined? Can you prove anything about the relationship between ##\|S\|## and ##\|T\|##?

Edit: I have so far only proved the inequality ##m(T)\leq 1/\|S\|##. The idea that I think looks the most promising for a proof of the equality is to take a closer look at the set ##\{|Tx|:|x|=1\}##. What is its infimum? What is its supremum?
 
Last edited: