Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CO2 Power - Designing an Impulse and/or Reaction Turbine

1. Aug 4, 2008 #1
    I'm trying to determine the feasibility of a project, but have not yet taken fluid dynamics (next quarter).

I'm trying to figure out how much power could be produced with a CO2 powered turbine. The turbine will be activated for only a few seconds at a time, with speeds under power ranging from 5,000-40,000 RPM. The turbine will see speeds up to 80,000 RPM. The goal of the project is maximum torque/power possible for the few seconds it will be activated. The CO2 will be injected at pressures ranging from 870psi to whatever I can achieve with entropy addition via a heat exchanger @ 230F.

It seems the high head, low volume nature of the injected CO2 would dictate a pure impulse type turbine, or maybe an impulse/reaction turbine. My first thought was to make a sort of simple aluminum Pelton wheel type turbine, or use a turbocharger turbine with a custom housing to act as an impulse turbine with reaction turbine benefits. I will probably be using at least two nozzles, and the turbine diameter would have to be 4" or smaller. I have very little experience with this type of design problem, so any advice or text recommendation would be very helpful.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2008 #2
    Using an existing device such as a turbocharger is definitely beneficial from a design point of view when you have limited budget/time.

You say you have not taken fluids yet but you seem familiar with impulse reaction turbines etc. May I ask what this project is about?
  4. Aug 12, 2008 #3
    The goal is to incorporate a supplemental CO2 powered turbine into a large turbocharger to greatly reduce lag and boost threshold, provide some boost pressure off the line, and keep the turbocharger shaft speed up between shifts.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?