Opinions please - ME Senior Project - Solar or Turbine

In summary, the professor shot down any solar projects on the grounds that solar tracking was too easy. I was defiantly disappointed but we will be working on a school sponsored wearable robotic rehab device for people who have lost all or partial ability to move their hands and fingers.
chaos_5
The fall semester just started and my team and I have to come up with a senior design project. Faculty projects and industry funded projects are very slim this year and it’s looking like our best bet will be to come up with (and fund) our own design. At this time I am torn between two ideas.

The first is a solar concentrator with a tracking mechanism. I am particularly interested in the parabolic dish type. Doing some research it appears that industrial scale dishes tend to power very advanced hydrogen gas sterling engines or simply heat water. It seems that black painted coiled copper pipe heat exchangers suffer from poor efficiency so we could focus on different designs for the heat exchangers to see what types are more efficient. Possibly explore coatings and different geometries and configurations.

Any attempt at converting the heated working fluid to mechanical or electrical energy may run the danger of scope creep.

The second idea is a boundary layer turbine (Tesla Turbine). The ideas are related in the sense that an array of solar collectors could be used to power the turbine. Once again, I don’t want the project to be too large.

Most all I’ve seen on Tesla turbines is a little discouraging.

I have not seen anyone make a closed system from one. Lots of youtube videos of turbines just exhausting into the atmosphere or running off compressed air or even tap water. It seems to me that if we where to build one an attempt should be make at a vacuum condenser. These turbines also appear to suffer from poor torque conversion and there is the danger of the disks warping and causing possible dangerous vibrations and catastrophic failure.

So, on one hand I have a relatively safe project that seems feasible and on the other one that freaks me out the more I think about it. What would you all do? Advocate the solar project or go for the turbo machinery?

Engineering news on Phys.org
My suggestion is to do a project which requires implementation of core engineering principles while being able to get done in the time provided.

A solar concentrator will require motor control systems, mechanical design, some illumination analysis, and electrical circuit design/analysis.

A tesla turbine would require more rigorous mechanical design (including high speed bearings & dynamic balancing), possibly some CFD analysis, and I assume some sort of generator or dynamometer to measure output (more electrical circuits).

Each will have some useful outcomes if you are able to implement it, so which project applies best to your team's skill set and goals?

Thank you for the feedback!

The professor shot down any solar projects on the grounds that solar tracking was too easy. I was defiantly disappointed but we will be working on a school sponsored wearable robotic rehab device for people who have lost all or partial ability to move their hands and fingers.

We will have to design the electronic interface between the schools patented nerve sensor electrodes, a control system/signal processing, and the mechanical device. Lots of work… I’m glad we have a year to do it!

Your professor sounds like a short-sighted individual who'd rather make money for the school rather than promote engineering creativity.

Not too long ago I was in your same exact shoes as far as a senior design project. We went back and forth between Stirling engines and Tesla turbines finally settling on a mutation of a Stirling engine that ran off of waste heat. I won't go into specifics but we were not creating the traditional shaft work.

We were the only group out of 6 to actually design, fabricate (machine), test and analyze something which fell in the realm of traditional ME, i.e. machine design, thermodynamics and fluids. The project was successful and the decent efficiencies warranted (we thought) further research.

Everyone else seemed to be more interested in the numnuts who modeled foot bones/muscles in ansys and cut out a piece of plastic to serve as a prosthetic foot. They got the accolades. Bio-mechanics was not even part of our curriculum...lol

Profs these days know that the quick money is made in medical advancements. That's why they're steering you that way.

If you want to work with heat engines, it doesn't have to be powered by the sun. Waste heat is free for the taking and we might as well have as much fun with it as possible if it's ultimately going to kill the universe:biggrin:

1. What are the benefits of choosing solar energy for a senior project?

Solar energy is a renewable and sustainable source of energy, which means it does not deplete natural resources or harm the environment. It also does not produce greenhouse gas emissions, making it a clean energy option. Choosing solar energy for a senior project can also help raise awareness about renewable energy and its potential for widespread use.

2. How does a solar project compare to a turbine project in terms of cost?

Solar projects can be more expensive to initially set up compared to turbine projects. However, the long-term cost of maintenance and operation for solar energy is much lower than that of turbines. Additionally, there may be potential for government incentives or grants to offset the initial cost of a solar project.

3. What are the limitations of a turbine project?

Turbine projects require a consistent and strong wind source to generate electricity, which may not be available in all locations. They also have a larger footprint and may require more land for installation. Maintenance and repair costs for turbines can also be significant.

4. How efficient is solar energy compared to other renewable energy sources?

Solar energy is one of the most efficient renewable energy sources available. Solar panels can convert about 20% of the sun's energy into usable electricity, while wind turbines have an efficiency of around 30%. This makes solar energy a viable option for meeting energy needs in a sustainable way.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of a senior project focused on solar energy?

One potential drawback of a solar energy project is the reliance on sunlight. Cloudy or rainy days can impact the amount of energy produced, and solar panels may not be as effective in areas with long periods of darkness or low levels of sunlight. There may also be challenges with storage and distribution of solar energy, although these technologies are constantly improving.