Coauthoring papers as an undergrad (as a programmer slave)

In summary, the individual has been given the opportunity to coauthor two separate papers with professors in the fields of math and physics. While they initially resisted the first opportunity due to feeling their contribution was not significant, they plan to accept the second opportunity. The individual questions whether others will see it as a scam and whether it will impress someone in academia or make them look like a "want to be". The conversation also touches on the importance of taking responsibility for the content of a paper when listed as a coauthor and being able to defend its conclusions.
TylerH
I've been given the opportunity to write programs for two different professors working on separate papers (one math, one physics), and when published they say they will list me as a coauthor. With the first, I sort of resisted a little, because I don't see the amount of work I did as really significant and the code was relatively simple. With the second, I'm not going to resist, because, despite feeling I don't deserve it, I do like being able to say I coauthored a paper.

To be clear, the first was finding max cliques in a graph. The second is numerically approximating some ODEs.

My question is whether others see it the same as I do. I know it's a scam. That is to say, I know they are only listing me as a coauthor to get me to write a program so they can avoid programming. When I brag about it, will others know that it is likely a scam as well?

It really seems to be more a matter of networking, showing interest in helping professors and a small amount of talent. If I had heard of someone doing the same before having been involved in it myself, I would have been a lot more impressed than I would now. I hate to admit it, but I sort of like to impress people. All things considered, would this be more likely to impress someone in academia or make me look like a want to be?

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, don't "brag" about authoring papers. Generally it's recognized that if you are named as a co-author on a paper as an undergraduate, you probably weren't the driving force behind the paper.

That said, what I usually tell my students about authorship is that if your name goes on the paper, you're accepting responsibility for what goes in it. That means that anyone can come up to you and ask you about it and expect to get a coherent answer. This is very important when networking or during job interviews, for example.

Choppy said:
That said, what I usually tell my students about authorship is that if your name goes on the paper, you're accepting responsibility for what goes in it. That means that anyone can come up to you and ask you about it and expect to get a coherent answer. This is very important when networking or during job interviews, for example.

To what extent? I mean, I can say they found some cool way of saying that the max clique of graphs with a certain type of generator is equal to the max clique of a specific subgraph plus some constant. (I know about the generator and how to construct the subgraph, but I don't want to do into details.) But I can't claim to understand how they proved it.

As for the physics one, we'll see. We've only talked about the ODEs involved so far. ODEs alone are relatively simple. I don't know how hard the theory is yet.

Being on a paper if you cannot defend the conclusions is improper. Even if you want to brag.

Offering authorship to someone who cannot defend its conclusions is also improper.

I would say that coauthoring papers as an undergraduate is a great opportunity and a valuable experience. It shows that you are actively involved in research and have contributed to the scientific community. While it may seem like a small amount of work to you, the fact that the professors have chosen to list you as a coauthor means that they value your contributions and believe that you have made a significant impact on their research.

In terms of others' perceptions, I cannot speak for everyone, but in my experience, coauthoring papers as an undergraduate is viewed positively. It shows that you are motivated and capable of contributing to research at a young age, which is impressive. It also demonstrates your ability to collaborate and work as part of a team, which are important skills in the scientific community.

Regarding your concerns about it being a "scam," I would say that it is not uncommon for professors to collaborate with students on research projects and include them as coauthors. It is a mutually beneficial relationship, as the student gains valuable experience and the professor receives help with their research. As long as you have contributed to the project and have been acknowledged for your work, there is nothing unethical about it.

In terms of networking and impressing others in academia, coauthoring papers as an undergraduate can definitely be a valuable asset. It shows that you are serious about pursuing a career in research and are already making contributions to the field. However, it is important to also focus on developing your own research interests and projects, rather than solely relying on coauthorship opportunities to impress others.

Overall, I would say that coauthoring papers as an undergraduate is a great opportunity and something to be proud of. It shows your dedication and passion for science and can open doors for future research opportunities. Keep up the good work!

1. How can I become a coauthor on a research paper as an undergraduate student?

To become a coauthor on a research paper as an undergraduate student, you can start by actively participating in research projects and collaborating with your professors and fellow researchers. This will allow you to gain hands-on experience and contribute significantly to the research, making you eligible for coauthorship.

2. What is the role of a programmer in coauthoring a research paper as an undergraduate?

A programmer plays a crucial role in coauthoring a research paper as an undergraduate. They are responsible for developing and implementing the necessary software and tools used in the research project. Their contribution is essential in collecting and analyzing data, which is a crucial aspect of any research project.

3. How can coauthoring a research paper benefit me as an undergraduate student?

Coauthoring a research paper as an undergraduate can bring several benefits. It allows you to gain valuable experience in the research field and build a strong portfolio. It also provides opportunities for networking and collaboration with other researchers, which can lead to future research opportunities and career advancements.

4. Can I coauthor a research paper as an undergraduate student without any prior experience?

Yes, you can coauthor a research paper as an undergraduate student even if you have little to no prior experience. As long as you are willing to learn and contribute to the research project, you can be considered for coauthorship. It is essential to communicate your interest and enthusiasm to your professors and fellow researchers to increase your chances.

5. Are there any challenges in coauthoring a research paper as an undergraduate student?

Yes, there can be some challenges in coauthoring a research paper as an undergraduate student. These may include time management, balancing coursework and research responsibilities, and learning how to effectively communicate and collaborate with other researchers. However, these challenges can also provide valuable learning experiences and prepare you for future research opportunities.