Coefficient of Friction Between Axe and Grindstone (Torque & MI)

In summary, the problem involves a grindstone with a mass of 50.0kg and rotating at 900rev/min. A normal force of 160N is applied to the rim of the grindstone, causing it to come to rest in 7.00sec. To find the coefficient of friction between the ax and the grindstone, torque and angular acceleration were calculated. However, the angular acceleration must be measured in radians per second per second in order to obtain the correct torque value. The coefficient of friction can then be found using the relationship: Friction = Mu*Normal Force.
Luis2101
A grindstone in the shape of a solid disk with diameter 0.510 and a mass of m= 50.0kg is rotating at w = 900rev/min. You press an ax against the rim with a normal force of N= 160N, and the grindstone comes to rest in 7.00sec.

Find the coefficient of friction between the ax and the grindstone. You can ignore friction in the bearings.

----
Simply put, I have no idea how to connect the information here to Coefficient of friction.
I have found Torque using t = I*(Angular Acceleration)
Where Moment of Inertia = 1/2 MR^2 = 1.63kg*m^2
And Angular Acceleration was found using w = w(initial) + angular acceleration*t.
I found the angular acceleration to be -2.14 rev/sec^2 (I converted the angular velocity to rev/sec in finding this).
And torque was equal to -3.5N...

I have all this info so far, but have no idea how to connect it to Coefficient of Friction, I thought maybe there would be some ratio with the Normal Force, but I don't have Friction Force so I'm pretty much stuck...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-L.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the torque must be the radius times the frictional force..:smile:

That makes perfect sense...

But...
I solved for Friction using torque/radius or (3.5)/(.255) = 13.7N

I then tried to solve for the coefficient of friction using the relationship:
Friction = Mu*Normal Force
So 13.7/160 = 0.0856 for coefficient of friction... which is wrong.

Is that last relationship incorrect in this case?

-L.

Well, but you must use angular acceleration measured in radians per second per second in your standard torque equation.
This is where you've gone wrong; multiply your coefficient of friction with [tex]2\pi[/tex] to get the right value.

Ohhh I see...
I have to use radians for angular acceleration otherwise my Torque value is wrong.
Cool, thanks a lot man.

-L.

1. What is the coefficient of friction between an axe and a grindstone?

The coefficient of friction between an axe and a grindstone is a measure of the amount of force required to overcome the resistance between the two surfaces as the axe is rotated against the grindstone.

2. How is the coefficient of friction between an axe and a grindstone calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the magnitude of the frictional force between the axe and grindstone by the normal force between the two surfaces.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction between an axe and a grindstone?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by factors such as the material of the axe and grindstone, the surface finish of the two surfaces, and the force pressing the two surfaces together.

4. Why is the coefficient of friction between an axe and a grindstone important?

The coefficient of friction is important because it affects the efficiency and effectiveness of using an axe to sharpen on a grindstone. A higher coefficient of friction means more force is needed to rotate the axe against the grindstone, making the sharpening process more difficult.

5. How can the coefficient of friction between an axe and a grindstone be reduced?

The coefficient of friction can be reduced by using lubricants between the two surfaces or by using materials with lower coefficients of friction, such as using a metal axe on a stone grindstone instead of a wood axe on a stone grindstone.