1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of Friction Between Axe and Grindstone (Torque & MI)

1. Jun 3, 2006 #1
    A grindstone in the shape of a solid disk with diameter 0.510 and a mass of m= 50.0kg is rotating at w = 900rev/min. You press an ax against the rim with a normal force of N= 160N, and the grindstone comes to rest in 7.00sec.

Find the coefficient of friction between the ax and the grindstone. You can ignore friction in the bearings.

----
    Simply put, I have no idea how to connect the information here to Coefficient of friction.
    I have found Torque using t = I*(Angular Acceleration)
    Where Moment of Inertia = 1/2 MR^2 = 1.63kg*m^2
    And Angular Acceleration was found using w = w(initial) + angular acceleration*t.
    I found the angular acceleration to be -2.14 rev/sec^2 (I converted the angular velocity to rev/sec in finding this).
    And torque was equal to -3.5N...

I have all this info so far, but have no idea how to connect it to Coefficient of Friction, I thought maybe there would be some ratio with the Normal Force, but I don't have Friction Force so I'm pretty much stuck...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-L.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, the torque must be the radius times the frictional force..:smile:

4. Jun 3, 2006 #3
    That makes perfect sense...

But...
    I solved for Friction using torque/radius or (3.5)/(.255) = 13.7N

I then tried to solve for the coefficient of friction using the relationship:
    Friction = Mu*Normal Force
    So 13.7/160 = 0.0856 for coefficient of friction... which is wrong.

Is that last relationship incorrect in this case?

-L.

5. Jun 3, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, but you must use angular acceleration measured in radians per second per second in your standard torque equation.
    This is where you've gone wrong; multiply your coefficient of friction with [tex]2\pi[/tex] to get the right value.

6. Jun 3, 2006 #5
    Ohhh I see...
    I have to use radians for angular acceleration otherwise my Torque value is wrong.
    Cool, thanks a lot man.

-L.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?