1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of resistution problem

1. Jun 8, 2009 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I think you need to determine how the coefficient of restitution will affect the collision with the wall. The component that is perpendicular to the wall (n) should experience the inelastic collision, while I think the p component should remain unaffected.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  4. Jun 9, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I know this, however I don't know how to proceed; how to I form the velocity in p and q from i and j?

Thanks alot!

5. Jun 9, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You have the transform already that 9/5 n + 13/5 p are the components in n,p of the final velocity in i,j.

So working in n,p you have an inelastic collision in n and elastic in p for which you have the final velocities, and the coefficient of restitution.

So you can solve directly in n,p and then employ the conversion to i,j can't you?

(Note: I incorrectly typo'ed that i was the component perpendicular to p when it was n. I have corrected that. Sorry if it added to any confusion.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook