Coefficients of a Superposition of State Vectors?

• Thread starter kq6up
  • Start date

Homework Statement

(f) At t = 0, a particle of mass m trapped in an infinite square well of width L is in a superposition of the first excited state and the fifth excited state, ψs(x, 0) = A (3φ1(x) − 2iφ5(x)) , where the φn(x) are correctly-normalized energy eigenstates with energies En. Which of the following values of A give a properly normalized wavefunction? ##\frac { 1 }{ \sqrt { 5 } }## ##\frac { i }{ 5 } ## ##\frac { i }{ \sqrt { 13 } }## ##\frac { 1 }{ 13 } ## None of these

Homework Equations

A normalized wave function: ##A^{ 2 }\sum _{ i }{ a^{ * }_i a_i } =1##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since, ##\sum _{ i }{ a^{ * }_{ i }a_{ i } } =9-4=5##, ##A=\frac { 1 }{ \sqrt { 5 } } ##.

Does this look correct?

Thnx,
Chris

Answers and Replies

blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
That does not look correct:wink:.
The basic definition of linear combination (or superposition) is the sum of all weighted basis states, that means if there is a negative sign in front of a particular term, that sign must belong to the expansion coefficient of that corresponding term.

I have a negative sign there. a1*a1=9 because it is real. (-2i)*=2i, so (-2i)*x(2i)=-4 for index 5. I am not sure I follow your concern.

Chris

blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
(-2i)*x(2i)
Shouldn't it be (-2i)*x(-2i) = 4 ?

That would be (-2i)*x(-2i)=(2i)x(-2i)=4. Oh, ok. Simple mistake. I should have wrote it out explicitly.

It is now ##A=\frac{1}{\sqrt{13}}## which is not one of the choices. That always makes me feel insecure :D

Chris

blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The coefficient ##A## is in general complex, thus instead of ##A^2## you should write it ##|A|^2##. Among the choices, which will give you ##|A|^2 = \frac{1}{13}##?

But it is asking for ##A##, not ##{|A|}^2##. Is it not?

Thanks,
Chris

I emailed the prof who wrote this test. Yes, I see that A is in general complex, so i/sqrt(13) would satisfy ##{|A|}^2=\frac{1}{13}##. Man, I am so rusty. A lot of brain sweat for what seemed to be such an easy question at first.

Thanks,
Chris

blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
so i/sqrt(13) would satisfy ##{|A|}^2=\frac{1}{13}##.
Yes that's right.

On part g) of this question:
(g) Given the wavefunction ψs, what is the probability of measuring the energy to be E6 at t = 0? Circle one:

The correct answer would be zero, correct? That is because the coefficient in front of a state vector at level 6 would be zero. It is not included in the original wave function correct?

Thanks,
Chris

blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yes the probability should be zero.

This one should be zero too, no? The probability of finding a particle and a particular point would would be infinitesimal. You have to integrate over some range on the axis to have a finite probability.

(h) Given the wavefunction ψs, what is the probability density of finding the particle in the middle of the box at time t = 0?

0 3 9 9 Undetermined

Thanks for helping me. I have no answers to this material, and I want to make sure I have these concepts down solid.

Thanks,
Chris

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Are "probability" and "probability density" the same thing?

Good point. Density is per unit length in a 1d scenario. Let me go back and work on it some more.

Chris

I would be taking the derivative of ##|\psi|^2## and evaluating it at L/2, correct? I get zero because there are sine functions in both terms after finding mod squared, and taking the derivative. I am using his version of the infinite square well, where x1=0 and x2=L. See: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-04-quantum-physics-i-spring-2013/exams/MIT8_04S13_exam1.pdf

My ##|\psi|^2## is: ##|\psi |^{ 2 }=\frac { 1 }{ 13 } \left[ 9\frac { 2 }{ L } { sin }^{ 2 }(\frac { 2\pi }{ L } x)+4\frac { 2 }{ L } { sin }^{ 2 }(\frac { 6\pi }{ L } x) \right] ##

Thanks,
Chris

I would be taking the derivative of ##|\psi|^2## and evaluating it at L/2, correct? I get zero because there are sine functions in both terms after finding mod squared, and taking the derivative. I am using his version of the infinite square well, where x1=0 and x2=L. See: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-04-quantum-physics-i-spring-2013/exams/MIT8_04S13_exam1.pdf

My ##|\psi|^2## is: ##|\psi |^{ 2 }=\frac { 1 }{ 13 } \left[ 9\frac { 2 }{ L } { sin }^{ 2 }(\frac { 2\pi }{ L } x)+4\frac { 2 }{ L } { sin }^{ 2 }(\frac { 6\pi }{ L } x) \right] ##

Thanks,
Chris

Never, mind. I don't know why I was thinking of taking the derivative. Mod squared is the probability density. The units are correct for that too. However, this mod square evaluated at x=L/2 should still be zero because the sine functions evaluated at multiples of ##\pi## are equal to zero.

Correct?

Thanks,
Chris