Coefficients of a Superposition of State Vectors?

In summary, for a particle in a superposition of the first excited state and the fifth excited state in an infinite square well, the value of A that gives a properly normalized wavefunction is i/sqrt(13). The probability of measuring the energy to be E6 at t = 0 is zero, and the probability density of finding the particle in the middle of the box at time t = 0 is also zero.
kq6up

Homework Statement

(f) At t = 0, a particle of mass m trapped in an infinite square well of width L is in a superposition of the first excited state and the fifth excited state, ψs(x, 0) = A (3φ1(x) − 2iφ5(x)) , where the φn(x) are correctly-normalized energy eigenstates with energies En. Which of the following values of A give a properly normalized wavefunction? ##\frac { 1 }{ \sqrt { 5 } }## ##\frac { i }{ 5 } ## ##\frac { i }{ \sqrt { 13 } }## ##\frac { 1 }{ 13 } ## None of these

Homework Equations

A normalized wave function: ##A^{ 2 }\sum _{ i }{ a^{ * }_i a_i } =1##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since, ##\sum _{ i }{ a^{ * }_{ i }a_{ i } } =9-4=5##, ##A=\frac { 1 }{ \sqrt { 5 } } ##.

Does this look correct?

Thnx,
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
That does not look correct:wink:.
The basic definition of linear combination (or superposition) is the sum of all weighted basis states, that means if there is a negative sign in front of a particular term, that sign must belong to the expansion coefficient of that corresponding term.

I have a negative sign there. a1*a1=9 because it is real. (-2i)*=2i, so (-2i)*x(2i)=-4 for index 5. I am not sure I follow your concern.

Chris

kq6up said:
(-2i)*x(2i)
Shouldn't it be (-2i)*x(-2i) = 4 ?

That would be (-2i)*x(-2i)=(2i)x(-2i)=4. Oh, ok. Simple mistake. I should have wrote it out explicitly.

It is now ##A=\frac{1}{\sqrt{13}}## which is not one of the choices. That always makes me feel insecure :D

Chris

The coefficient ##A## is in general complex, thus instead of ##A^2## you should write it ##|A|^2##. Among the choices, which will give you ##|A|^2 = \frac{1}{13}##?

But it is asking for ##A##, not ##{|A|}^2##. Is it not?

Thanks,
Chris

I emailed the prof who wrote this test. Yes, I see that A is in general complex, so i/sqrt(13) would satisfy ##{|A|}^2=\frac{1}{13}##. Man, I am so rusty. A lot of brain sweat for what seemed to be such an easy question at first.

Thanks,
Chris

kq6up said:
so i/sqrt(13) would satisfy ##{|A|}^2=\frac{1}{13}##.
Yes that's right.

Likes kq6up
On part g) of this question:
(g) Given the wavefunction ψs, what is the probability of measuring the energy to be E6 at t = 0? Circle one:

The correct answer would be zero, correct? That is because the coefficient in front of a state vector at level 6 would be zero. It is not included in the original wave function correct?

Thanks,
Chris

Yes the probability should be zero.

Likes kq6up
This one should be zero too, no? The probability of finding a particle and a particular point would would be infinitesimal. You have to integrate over some range on the axis to have a finite probability.

(h) Given the wavefunction ψs, what is the probability density of finding the particle in the middle of the box at time t = 0?

0 3 9 9 Undetermined

Thanks for helping me. I have no answers to this material, and I want to make sure I have these concepts down solid.

Thanks,
Chris

Are "probability" and "probability density" the same thing?

Good point. Density is per unit length in a 1d scenario. Let me go back and work on it some more.

Chris

I would be taking the derivative of ##|\psi|^2## and evaluating it at L/2, correct? I get zero because there are sine functions in both terms after finding mod squared, and taking the derivative. I am using his version of the infinite square well, where x1=0 and x2=L. See: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-04-quantum-physics-i-spring-2013/exams/MIT8_04S13_exam1.pdf

My ##|\psi|^2## is: ##|\psi |^{ 2 }=\frac { 1 }{ 13 } \left[ 9\frac { 2 }{ L } { sin }^{ 2 }(\frac { 2\pi }{ L } x)+4\frac { 2 }{ L } { sin }^{ 2 }(\frac { 6\pi }{ L } x) \right] ##

Thanks,
Chris

kq6up said:
I would be taking the derivative of ##|\psi|^2## and evaluating it at L/2, correct? I get zero because there are sine functions in both terms after finding mod squared, and taking the derivative. I am using his version of the infinite square well, where x1=0 and x2=L. See: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-04-quantum-physics-i-spring-2013/exams/MIT8_04S13_exam1.pdf

My ##|\psi|^2## is: ##|\psi |^{ 2 }=\frac { 1 }{ 13 } \left[ 9\frac { 2 }{ L } { sin }^{ 2 }(\frac { 2\pi }{ L } x)+4\frac { 2 }{ L } { sin }^{ 2 }(\frac { 6\pi }{ L } x) \right] ##

Thanks,
Chris

Never, mind. I don't know why I was thinking of taking the derivative. Mod squared is the probability density. The units are correct for that too. However, this mod square evaluated at x=L/2 should still be zero because the sine functions evaluated at multiples of ##\pi## are equal to zero.

Correct?

Thanks,
Chris

1. What are coefficients of a superposition of state vectors?

Coefficients of a superposition of state vectors are numerical values that represent the probability amplitudes of different states in a quantum system. They are used to describe the state of a quantum system as a combination of multiple states simultaneously.

2. How are coefficients of a superposition of state vectors calculated?

The coefficients of a superposition of state vectors are calculated using the principles of linear algebra. They are derived from the inner product of the state vector and the basis vectors that make up the superposition.

3. What is the significance of coefficients of a superposition of state vectors?

The coefficients of a superposition of state vectors play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they determine the probability of obtaining a certain outcome when measuring the system. They also allow for the prediction of future states of the system.

4. Can coefficients of a superposition of state vectors have negative values?

Yes, coefficients of a superposition of state vectors can have negative values. These negative values do not represent negative probabilities, but rather indicate a phase difference between the different states in the superposition.

5. How do coefficients of a superposition of state vectors change over time?

The coefficients of a superposition of state vectors can change over time due to the phenomenon of quantum superposition, where the system can evolve into a different state with different coefficients. This change is described by the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics.