Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cohen-Tannoudji on mutually exclusive (?) events

1. May 24, 2015 #1
    I was looking at what Cohen-Tannudji has to say on compatibility of observables.
    Assumptions: ## A,B## are operators such that ##[A,B]=0 ## and we denote ## |a_i \,b_j\rangle## to be states for which ##A | a_i \, b_j \rangle= a_i | a_i \, b_j \rangle##, ##B | a_i \, b_j \rangle= b_j | a_i \, b_j \rangle##.
    We start with the state ##|\psi \rangle= \sum_{i,j} c_{i,j} | a_i \, b_j \rangle ##.
    The whole discussion starts with the following:
    "The probability for finding ## a_1 ## is ## P(a_1)= \sum_{j} |c_{1,j}|^2 ##." (Page 232 in a 1977 edition.)
    Have I forgotten something fundamental? I thought that the amplitudes ## \langle a_1 \, b_{j'} | \psi \rangle ## and ## \langle a_1 \, b_j | \psi \rangle ## are mutually exclusive for ##j' \neq j ##, so that according to quantum rules for probability
    $$P(a_1)= \big| \sum_j \langle a_1 \, b_{j} | \psi \rangle \big|^2= \sum_j \sum_{j'} \langle a_1 \, b_j | \psi \rangle \langle \psi | a_1 \, b_{j'} \rangle. $$
    I see no reason as to why ##j'= j ## should hold.
    My apologies for the slightly dull question, but I'm a bit lost.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2015 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm completely ignorant of the physics here. However when dealing with probabilities, mutually exclusive means the probability of both happening is 0.

4. May 24, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the reply, yeah.
    Let ## a,b## be exclusive events. For classical physical things ## P(a\mathrm{ \, or \, }b)= P(a) + P(b)##. In quantum physics, however, we have ## A(a\mathrm{ \, or \, }b)= A(a) + A(b)## where ##A \in \mathbb{C}## is a 'probability amplitude' so that ## P(x)= A(X) A^*(X)##, star denoting a complex conjugate, for some event ## X##. This definition will bring so called interference terms when compared with the classical case (they disappear in the classical limit).
    In my case, ## | a_i \, b_j \rangle ## are vectors.. some physical states, in fact, that have well-defined (=certain) values for some observables ##A,B## (so, a physical state always has some value or a distribution of values for both). We have different states for different ## i## and ## j##. A term ##\langle a_1 \, b_j | \psi \rangle## is actually just such an amplitude for the state ## | \psi \rangle## having the value ## a_1 ## for ## A## and the value ## b_j## for ## B##. I'm trying to determine the total probability to find that the value of ## A## for ## |\psi \rangle## is ## a_1##. As I see it, ##|\psi \rangle## can have that value while having ##b_1,b_2,b_3,... ## for ## B##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook