Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collapsed hypergiant forms a gamma ray pulsating black hole

1. May 22, 2010 #1
    I am having a hard time understanding the theory that a collapsed hypergiant forms a gamma ray pulsating black hole. Can someone explain how the em radiation can travel so fast with such energy as to not only escape the event horizon but also do so with such intensity?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: hypernovas

The radiation does not escape the event horizon. It is released by matter falling into the black hole before it crosses the event horizon. The Hyper nova is caused when the core collapses directly into a black hole. The remaining mass of the star forms an accretion disk, and it is this matter that creates the radiation emitted at the rotational poles.
  4. May 22, 2010 #3

Other than the magnitude and size of the event, it is not materially different from an AGN, or any accreting body, correct?
  5. May 23, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hypernova are generally believed to form from the collapse of pop III stars. None are known to exist locally. Metallicity messes with collapse events in ways we do not understand. Lack of metallicity is believed to allow gamma bursts. Colliding neutron stars are the other suspect, these may explain short gamma bursts.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook