Gamma ray burst associated with LIGO GW event

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
121 replies · 19K views
Drakkith said:
It appears you're asking whether or not LIGO can detect the gravitational waves generated by in-spiraling massive objects. Is that correct?

No, I was asking if the geometry was sufficient, and the event was sufficiently violent enough to produce gravitational waves of sufficient amplitude to be detected by the LIGO instrumentation

Drakkith said:
So you're asking about gravitational waves? Looking at your earlier post:

No, I was asking about the geometry of gravity waves in space-time caused by any event, not just two black holes spiraling into each other, and if Δx, Δy, Δz, Δt must have sufficient amplitudes caused by such an event or events, to be detected by the LIGO instrumentation.

Eimacman
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, Eimackman, but I still don't understand what you're asking and I don't know enough about GR to make an accurate guess. I think I'll just bow out of this conversation here and let someone else take over. Thanks for your time.